Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Getting a part-time nanny. IT CAN'T BE THIS HARD CAN IT?!?

(31 Posts)
honeyistoosweet Fri 19-Dec-14 11:44:49

I live in SW London with a two year old son. I need a nanny from January on a Wednesday and a Thursday 8am - 6:30pm.

I didn't honestly think it would be THIS hard to find one sad

Initially i paid the odd £30 and put an ad on Nannyjob stating the usual - non smoker, current DBS, experience of this age range etc. Had a few replies - maybe 7 or 8 and all were unsuitable for one reason or another - for example, living over an hour away, not having experience etc. There was one that looked hopeful but she wanted three days not two. I didn't end up meeting any of them in person.

I emailed around other friends to see if anyone had heard of a nanny available on the grapevine. Nothing.

I then thought, okay fine.. I might have to stump up some agency fees and contacted three. Not really very impressed by any of them to be honest but that's a separate thread. Two have come back to say there is no one available.

Third I just haven't heard from but as they want £2000 I am rather hoping I don't

So then I succumb to Gumtree. And then I get the bombardment of unsuitable replies. I don't mind sifting, if there is something to sift through for! But if all I am getting is an email saying, 'I like job plz' (and then not even a CV attached) then really... What is the world coming to?!

It is making me go a little bit crazy to be honest and now having tried all the normal routes I don't know what on earth to do.

Surely, surely, SURELY there is someone (and believe me I am not horrendously picky) who would like to come and play with my son a couple of days a week?!

Sorry for massive rant..

Callaird Fri 19-Dec-14 12:12:14

Have you tried Wimbledon nannies?

I think it's hard to find someone for those days a week. Most part time nannies I know work Monday to Wednesday. Then Thursday and Friday with a different family. Can you be flexible with days?

I think things go round in circles. When I have a good job there seems to be loads of great sounding jobs and when I'm looking for a job there is nothing interesting!!

There is the right nanny out there for you, you just have to keep plodding on! A lot of nannies I know in the area look on childcare.co.uk. Have you tried there? Although again it's more money.

honeyistoosweet Fri 19-Dec-14 12:18:10

Thanks for your reply. No good on day changes unfortunately - they are fixed.

I've used Wimbledon Nannies before and may have to try them this time around too. Will also look on childcare.co.uk - thanks!

Quangle Fri 19-Dec-14 12:21:28

why have you ruled people out for living a long way away? My nanny lives over an hour away - she's been working for me for 8 years! That seems an odd criterion - unless you are worried about lateness but that depends on the person's personality rather than the distance.

Purplepumpkins Fri 19-Dec-14 12:28:58

Try daffodil nannies I know the owner and she charges lower rates then a lot of leading agency's.

honeyistoosweet Fri 19-Dec-14 12:30:14

Quangle - do you live in London? Not so much about the person's reliability but the train/tube system!!!

I have to leave for work at 8.15am prompt. My commute into Central/East London is over an hour. If the nanny was held up because of traffic/train delays it just isn't going to work. I saw this with a previous nanny all to often. Not her fault - unpredictability of the transport is too frequent to have someone who lives miles and miles away. In this instance the applicant lived in Surrey, so really was pushing it.

Purplepumpkins Fri 19-Dec-14 12:30:44

Also in sorry but Nannying is not just about "playing" with your child!

GermanGirlinLondon Fri 19-Dec-14 12:31:06

Would you consider a nanny with her own child? Or a nanny share?

honeyistoosweet Fri 19-Dec-14 12:31:07

Thanks Purple - will look it up now!

honeyistoosweet Fri 19-Dec-14 12:32:02

Oh Purple - you know what I mean!!!

Purplepumpkins Fri 19-Dec-14 12:35:46

not really lol sorry I'm not being over sensitive I promise but I guess I work bloody hard and I do a lot more then playing smile

Messygirl Fri 19-Dec-14 12:36:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Purplepumpkins Fri 19-Dec-14 12:36:27

Let me know how you get on I know the owner she's lovely

nannynoss Fri 19-Dec-14 12:37:59

If you are on Facebook, try and join the SW18 mums and SW18 nannies groups. Lots of people look on there for jobs before going on to other sites ime.
Would you consider a share? I'm in SW London and know a few nannies who have parents who would be happy to share their nanny for 2 days. Do you go to any toddler groups with your child where there are other nannies?

honeyistoosweet Fri 19-Dec-14 12:40:22

Purple - seriously, there is nooooo way i underestimate what you do. I couldn't do it. Much respect to you! smile

nearlyreadyforstatelyhomes Fri 19-Dec-14 12:40:59

I'd suggest going to toddler groups and chatting to the child minders and nannies who go there. Word of mouth might be your best shot. Good luck.

Purplepumpkins Fri 19-Dec-14 12:41:02

Ahh cool, thanks smile

honeyistoosweet Fri 19-Dec-14 12:47:37

Nanny Share is not an option is this instance. My son has an auto inflammatory condition so really needs the one to one care.

Thanks for all your suggestions - I will keep plodding on!

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 19-Dec-14 13:53:01

What are the job details/how much are you paying etc.? Maybe there is something there that is putting people off. It could just be a case of too much/too little info in the ad. If you want to post it here we can take a look at it for you.

Childcare.co.uk is a definite one to try before you go to agencies. And If you can bear it, carry on with Gumtree because there are good nannies on there as well.

Quangle Fri 19-Dec-14 14:00:02

yes I'm in central London. It's never really been a problem. Nanny has been late occasionally because of her commute but even if she lived a twenty minute journey away she could still be caught up in traffic.

Also wonder if it's the salary? Might you need to up the salary to make the unusual hours more attractive?

honeyistoosweet Fri 19-Dec-14 14:20:37

I am offering what I suspect is the usual - £10-12 net per hour. Not in a position to go any higher as I am a single Mother struggling at the best of times.

Here is the Gumtree ad - tell me if there is anything off putting?

A loving, patient and upbeat nanny required to care for my vibrant & curious 2.3 year old boy in Putney. Days spent in the park, exploring museums,soft play, library etc.

This is a sole charge role on a Wednesday and Thursday 8am - 6:30pm (these days are fixed)

Duties will include cooking healthy meals, keeping things neat and tidy, as well as general nursery duties (though these will be light as we have a cleaner) Most importantly - lots of playing!

Please ONLY apply if you meet the following criteria:

- Non smoker
- Fluent English
- Legally allowed to work in the UK
- Excellent, checkable references
- Current DBS
- 3+ years experience with children in this age range
- Scope for babysitting and extra hours an advantage.

Purplepumpkins Fri 19-Dec-14 14:57:02

Sounds a very attractive job, I'm sure someone will snap it up. Have you tried "the lady" Its worth a try.

honeyistoosweet Fri 19-Dec-14 15:17:48

Well that's what I had hoped. Funnily enough, my Mum mentioned The Lady. Will google now.

FlorenceMattell Fri 19-Dec-14 16:05:28

Agree it sounds an attractive job.

honeyistoosweet Fri 19-Dec-14 16:08:01

Must be the days then...or the time of year?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now