Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

swapping cars with Nanny and who pays what?

(30 Posts)
aliceinwonderland56 Fri 19-Dec-14 09:46:17

I wonder if anyone has been in the situation before where they swapped cars with their nanny instead of them using their own car for transporting the children?

We are employing a new Nanny to look after our four children come the start of the year but she drives a small 4 seater car. She has said she would be more than happy to swap and use our large 7 seater while she is at work and I would take her car to work, etc. Normally when the nanny uses her car we pay 40p per mile as usual but I'm not sure this would be the same in this case as she's still using my car?

How would it work this way/what have you done in the past? Many thanks

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Dec-14 10:10:33

i did this in one job, mb paid for the extra insurance , think about £40 to have her as a named driver and then she calculated the mileage to station and back about 10 miles a day (3 day job) so she either paid me the cash (.45p per mile so £13.50)or put in £15 into car for me

aliceinwonderland56 Fri 19-Dec-14 10:27:50

Is mb the parent? Sorry if that's a daft question! My job would involve around 160 miles a week in her car, so that's a lot! It's probably going to work out more expensive this way rather than driving my own car normally does then?

nannynick Fri 19-Dec-14 10:55:56

Is nanny using their own car impossible or just a bit inconvenient?

Insurance costs would need to be looked at.

mrsmatchstick Fri 19-Dec-14 11:12:42

Impossible. I have four children and her car is a fiat 500. My insurance isn't a problem as it's leased from motability. Not sure about hers, with my previous cars it's made it cheaper adding an experienced driver but that was a few years ago

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Dec-14 11:20:20

Have you name changed op?

Yes mb is mum boss and paid for it

You are going to do a lot of miles and costs be high. Obv there's wear and tear of car hence why pence per mile which covers it. Yours would be about £70 per week on the mileage you state

Tbh most nannies can't get 4 kids in cars so think you need to supply a car

Can dh swap cars if he leave his at station for example?

Or a 3rd car?

Damnautocorrect Fri 19-Dec-14 11:21:10

Wow 160 miles a week, her cars going to depreciate massively, need servicing and maintaining more.
Surely another car would be better and just insure her on yours?

aliceinwonderland56 Fri 19-Dec-14 13:12:29

Ah yes Blondes, I couldn't log in to this one before so I set up a new username which my phone was still logged into. Sorry for the confusion.

This is a concern of mine, the mileage, depreciation of her car, etc. for my car it's not an issue. Previous nanny's haven't had a problem with having a big enough car so this is a new one for us and of course I want to make sure we do it right. Sadly I don't have a Nanny because I can easily afford it, it's because I'm a NHS student based at a hospital down the motorway (hence the distance) and I have an SN child so using a childminder is difficult even though it would save me hassle and money.

OH uses a company car so can't use his either. Our only other option is not use her car at all and try and use trains and taxis but with my shift work that's also tricky.

Making sure its right and everything is covered is my main priority, as well as making sure this is the right option for the kids (and that I have some money left to buy food lol!)

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 19-Dec-14 13:42:10

Does the nanny absolutely need a car everyday?

FannyFanakapan Fri 19-Dec-14 13:48:51

Can nanny drive you to work with kids in car, or drive you to the station and collect you later?

chasingtherainbow Fri 19-Dec-14 13:49:47

Does the nanny need to drive your kids? Is it a FT position

aliceinwonderland56 Fri 19-Dec-14 14:29:59

She definitely needs it every day, school run is a 5-10min drive away. My work/uni is based in two different towns, both 35-45 minutes away so no possibility of her giving me lifts unfortunately. Position is full time.

I wonder if I should look at leasing a car instead for me to use, though have never done that either. It would solve the issue of worrying about her mileage and wonder how much difference it would be financially than paying £70 a week fuel.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Dec-14 16:12:58

sure a car would be cheap to lease

my dp leases a 2014 van (big one as does property maintenance and needs for tools etc) and pays £248 a month

it is also a tax perk for him as se, so maybe you can put it down as exspenses?

aliceinwonderland56 Fri 19-Dec-14 16:34:38

Not sure about the expenses side of things, it's not something I know a lot about, is that just for those who are se? As a student, I'm not sure where I fall as far as tax and VAT are.

purpleroses Fri 19-Dec-14 16:45:52

I think it's her job just to get herself to work really. And your job to pay for the running of both cars that are needed to get to your own job and for the nanny to transport your DC around whilst she works for you. So I'd offer to pay a milage on hers that you're borrowing. The Inland Revenue rates are less per mile after a certain number of miles in the year though I think.

purpleroses Fri 19-Dec-14 16:47:02

You'd still pay for petrol with a lease car surely?

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Dec-14 16:52:36

after 10k miles it goes down to think 25p, so you wouldnt reach that

also not sure if i would be happy as a nanny even if being paid mileage for my car to have all those extra miles on it

why cant nanny use dh car? im normally put on the companys work car?

dont know about the tax implications as a student

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Dec-14 16:53:22

and yes would pay for petrol but 160 miles would prob cost op £15/20 a week ie 1/3 tank

busyDays Fri 19-Dec-14 17:05:46

If previous nannies have all had big enough cars then wouldn't the cheapest option be to find a different nanny who also has a big enough car?

aliceinwonderland56 Fri 19-Dec-14 17:10:45

Blondes, OH's company car is from employer, not se, so not able to let Nanny use that as he uses it every day (though I did ask him to ask his boss if they had a spare pool car to loan me instead of leasing a car, which sadly was no!).

purpleroses, paying own fuel on a lease car would be cheaper than paying mileage and means Nanny doesn't have to worry about my mileage depreciating her car too.

I think leasing a car will be the best option then and probably cheaper. Thank you for your help peeps smile

aliceinwonderland56 Fri 19-Dec-14 17:20:06

busyDays, you would think! They also need Ofsted registration because of the NHS childcare Bursary system, which seems to be harder to come by.

youarekiddingme Fri 19-Dec-14 17:29:54

I would buy a cheaper runaround for you and let nanny use the motability car. From what you've written the car is because you have a disabled child? So the car should be used for them anyway.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Dec-14 17:44:26

you can often buy cars for £500 and have a years mot etc on them, my dp 25yr son has done it a few times, maybe worth doing that then finding a lease/loan amount each month

meant can nanny not swap with dh car, if his miles isnt many/maybe he leaves at station etc, then you drive dh company car, nanny has your car and dh has nannys car

chasingtherainbow Fri 19-Dec-14 18:07:14

I have to be honest as a nanny I REALLY wouldn't let my boss use my car. As someone said before, it's her responsibility to get to work. After that it's down to you. I really think you should have specified that the nanny needed a big enough car when advertising.

I know she's agreed in principle now- but she's wanting to secure a job and I'm certain that this arrangement would begin to grate very quickly. . And then she'll be stuck.

FunkyBoldRibena Fri 19-Dec-14 18:16:18

though I did ask him to ask his boss if they had a spare pool car to loan me instead of leasing a car, which sadly was no!

Eh? You really asked him this?

then you drive dh company car, nanny has your car and dh has nannys car

Eh?

OP - get a nanny that has a car big enough to do the job, or get a car for her to use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now