Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice for employing a Nanny

(10 Posts)
SeasonsEatings Thu 18-Dec-14 15:07:34

I am going to take on a Nanny for 2 days a week, minimum 9 hours each day.

I was hoping that she would go self employed but she isn't keen (doesn't want to fill in forms as struggles with word blindness/dyslexia) If I pay �8/�9 per hour this would mean that she would be under the threshold for tax, how much national insurance should I pay for her.

Also if she gets another job with another family will I have to pay tax on what I pay her if both jobs combined means that she is over the �10k tax threshold?

I have looked into the Liability insurance, regards payslips can I manualy do these rather than go through an agency?

SeasonsEatings Thu 18-Dec-14 15:08:06

sorry the pound signs were turned into �

Tanaqui Thu 18-Dec-14 15:13:21

If she does the same two days every week for you she can't be self employed anyway.

FlorenceMattell Thu 18-Dec-14 15:51:57

As you want a permanent nanny for set days and time she can't be self employed. You would be committing an offence and liable to prosecution.
You need to register as an employer with HMRC.
Whether you need to pay NI depends on the threshold for national insurance; I'm not sure what it is. You will be paying £144 to £162 per week so I think there may be some due. NI is seperate for each job.
Regarding any tax due this will depend on whether the nanny has other income from employment, shares, rented property, pension.
Hope you have agreed a Gross wage?
As an employer you also need to have insurance incase the nanny has an accident and makes a claim against you. Eg falls over in your house.

FlorenceMattell Thu 18-Dec-14 15:58:02

You agree a Gross wage. If she has other income that is not really any of your business. Any tax you have to deduct (what you call paying) is her tax liability not yours.
By law you must give her a pay slip each month if you include all the vital data don't see any reason why you can't produce manually.
Most employers use a payroll company for a couple hundred pounds per year. Don't forget you need to pay holiday pay too. Two days ore week is 11.2 days per year.

nannynick Thu 18-Dec-14 17:00:53

At 9 per hour gross, 18 hours a week, there will be a small amount of employees NI to deduct. There is also a small amount of Employers NI. MrAnchovy's PAYE Calculator

You can produce payslips yourself. You can use the HMRC website for submitting employers data, or use software like www.brightpay.co.uk (which is free for small employers). You can use the HMRC New Employers helpline for assistance, and BrightPay has a helpline for assistance in using their software. You can use www.acas.org.uk for employment law information, such as things to do with Holiday Pay, Sick Pay, Maternity Pay, Redundancy.

As you will be paying over £111 per week, you do need to register as an employer with HMRC. You can't register more than 2 months in advance but should register a bit more than 2 weeks in advance as it can take a while to get through the online activation codes. Gov.uk: Register as an Employer

SeasonsEatings Thu 18-Dec-14 21:36:56

Thanks for your replies. Especially Nanny Nick
Will register online

FanSpamTastic Thu 18-Dec-14 21:51:12

Quite often your household insurance will cover a certain amount of employers liability insurance. But you need to check the policy you have.

GertrudeBell Thu 18-Dec-14 22:03:58

Are you sure you mean £9 per hour gross? That seems quite low...

m0therofdragons Sat 20-Dec-14 19:05:49

£9 gross is low? Maybe in London but fairly standard where I live in the south west. I'm currently considering this option as well op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now