Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would anyone be happy with this?

(19 Posts)
Hurr1cane Thu 18-Dec-14 09:41:12

Because I might be over reacting a bit.

My child goes to a special school, most children get transport but there are a few who don't and their parents bring them.

Recently someone mum brings them who didn't used to. She is a childminder, when she brings her child, she leaves the younger children (pre school age) in her car while she brings the child to reception (in sight of he car),waits 10 minutes, then walks her child to class (completely out of sight of the car),
settles her, poss 3-5 minutes then walks back to the car.

At pick up she leaves the other children in the car while she goes to reception to wait.

I really don't feel comfortable with it at all, that's if it were my child though, and I can be over protective. The parents probably know and agree to this don't they? It just sets me on edge, but like I say, I have form for being over protective so I guess I'm hoping people will come and tell me I'm being ridiculous and the children left in the car are totally safe.

Jinxxx Thu 18-Dec-14 10:01:08

This is totally unacceptable, even if the parents agree! Pre school age children have by law to be in sight or hearing of their carer at all times. You really need to speak to her - if someone reports her she is likely to face deregistration.

Jinxxx Thu 18-Dec-14 10:03:18

Just realised I am assuming you are in England or Wales. I don't know about the law in other parts of the UK or elsewhere.

SocksRock Thu 18-Dec-14 10:19:43

I've used childminders, and would absolutely not be happy with this. Sorry.

Quitelikely Thu 18-Dec-14 10:23:11

I leave my son in the car for approximately 3 minutes when I do the drop off.

So are you saying 15 minutes? No I wouldn't be happy with that. I know it's a hassle to get them all in and out, different if you're their mother but when you are being paid for the aggro IMO you should be getting them out.

Hurr1cane Thu 18-Dec-14 10:44:43

I am in England. Pick up might be faster I don't know she doesn't seem to be there anymore so she might get the child earlier. But drop off, yeah she's walking the child down to class and chatting to other mums for 10 minutes in reception while the kids are in the car sad

I don't really know her enough to have a word though.

Jinxxx Thu 18-Dec-14 11:00:54

Tell the teacher then. Give him/her a note. The teacher will have to do something. You won't be able to forgive yourself if a child chokes because you were too shy to say something.

LingDiLong Thu 18-Dec-14 11:08:12

I wouldn't be happy with that as a parent and wouldn't do it as a childminder. I tend to do the opposite in a way - I take a childminded kid to school before I take my own. I take all childminded children plus my 4 year old out of the car and they come with me to take the childminded child in. I do leave my almost 8 and 10 year old in the car and they are out of sight but I leave it til last minute so they're alone for 5 minutes and no more. P

At pick up once a week I get childminded children from one school then park right outside the gate of my children's school and leave the childminded children in the car while I knock on the after school club door (car is visible from here) and get mine - takes about 2 minutes. That's the most I'd be comfortable with.

Other than report to Ofsted I'm not sure what else you can do though. It's not really the school's responsibility is it because the children concerned aren't pupils.

Hurr1cane Thu 18-Dec-14 11:26:18

sad It's the last day tomorrow so if she still does it in January I'll have to say something to her won't i?

InfinitySeven Thu 18-Dec-14 11:33:36

You should say something today or tomorrow so that she has time to make other plans. She'll be grateful if it stops her being deregistered.

Hurr1cane Thu 18-Dec-14 11:49:29

I won't see her today because I'm collecting early but if DS is in tomorrow (might not be as all this Christmas stuff is getting way too much for him) and she does it then I will say something

Hurr1cane Thu 18-Dec-14 11:50:14

The thing is this morning I heard one of the other mums offer to take her child in for her so she could get back to the babies and she said no they'll be fine

HSMMaCM Thu 18-Dec-14 12:15:36

If I was close to the car and in sight I might consider it safer to leave the children, but out of sight in the school definitely not.

However, it's probably not worth mentioning to the teacher, because it's nothing to do with the school pupils.

wewishyou Thu 18-Dec-14 12:33:43

You are all so nice. I would call Ofsted. If she is irresponsible enough to think it's Ok to leave preschoolers in the car and be relaxed enough to chat instead of running back to the car, what else does she do?

I remember a discussion here about a childminder losing her right to work because she had left the children in the car for 7 minutes unattended and everybody thought she deserved it. There is a reason why she is going to be in trouble if Ofsted finds out.

That woman is not an overwhelmed mother who might need help, she is a professional who has to know better than doing that

Jinxxx Thu 18-Dec-14 13:26:43

I have to disagree about it being nothing to do with the teacher. The teacher will have a professional obligation to act in a safeguarding situation (which I think this is) to prevent harm to any children and to report neglect, just as we would have an obligation to act if we saw another childminder or indeed teacher harm or neglect a child. I'm sure there are a lot of teachers and ex=teachers on here who could advise what they would do in this situation, but I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be nothing.

wewishyou Thu 18-Dec-14 13:31:41

Teachers are responsible for children in their classroom, not for every child in the country

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 18-Dec-14 15:22:28

wouldnt be happy with this, and all cm/registered with ofsted must be able to see/hear their charges at all times

i have taken to school before, left charge in car but walk to school gates, still seeing car ason main road etc, if couldnt park there i wouldnt

to be out of sight/mind for 15mins is insane hmm

same as i will fill up with petrol either with pay at pump or a garage where can see the forecourt and obv lock the car

HSMMaCM Thu 18-Dec-14 16:00:52

Jinxxx, I sort of agree with you, but the teacher shouldn't act on heresay, they will only act on something they have witnessed themselves. At drop off and pick up time, they will be unlikely to be checking on parents/CMs cars, because they will be busy. Another parent can report it as a child protection issue, to Ofsted, or whoever else they choose.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 19-Dec-14 02:07:13

I don't think it's got anything to do with the teacher. She has the same duty of care to 'random' children as we all do, but no more. Her only safeguarding duties are to the children in her care.

I wouldn't speak to the childminder though. She needs to be reported to Ofsted and for your sake I wouldn't make it obvious to her that it was you.

I don't think her being out of sight of the children for 3-5 minutes is a massive issue, but I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't be happy if it were my children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now