Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny with own child

(23 Posts)
JugglingChaotically Tue 16-Dec-14 22:01:06

London/Surrey borders - nanny rates

LuckyLopez Tue 16-Dec-14 22:06:37

Do you want to put that in a full sentence?

JugglingChaotically Tue 16-Dec-14 22:09:48

Oops - didn't mean to post that!
We were looking for an after school/holiday nanny and have found a lovely NWOC looking to work part time - with mornings off. Overtime as required in hols.
Really like her - as do DCs!!!! - and she is just what we need so we think it would be a great fit.
So
What is a good rate per hour net/gross for 22 hours/week base?
Thanks!

JugglingChaotically Tue 16-Dec-14 22:11:01

Lucky Lopez.
First post was meant to be part of title! One day I will master mumsnet on an iPhone ..... Sorry.

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 16-Dec-14 22:57:29

£10-11ph net is the going rate for a nanny.

For a NWOC I would reduce it by about 20%, but if you really like her and were going to pay full rate anyway you might consider offering more. It depends how in demand she is. Maybe go in low and then you can offer more if she turns you down.

JugglingChaotically Wed 17-Dec-14 07:43:43

Does £10/hr net sound ok?

JugglingChaotically Wed 17-Dec-14 09:29:45

Anyone??

woodychip Wed 17-Dec-14 09:32:40

How about asking the nanny?! What we say doesn't make a jot of difference if she doesn't like it. Have you asked her what pay she is expecting? Or you are suggesting?

eeyore12 Wed 17-Dec-14 09:34:33

That sounds more than ok, I am a nwoc and was working a job just like yours and was getting £9 net a hour which I was more than happy with as I was expecting to be offered less as bringing my son but my boss said she knew the hours were odd and so to make sure someone could live on those hours she was offering £9. Make sure you agree the gross figure in the contract though in case she does find another post to fit round yours at some point of tax codes change etc

eeyore12 Wed 17-Dec-14 09:34:54

That last bit should of been or if tax codes change

JugglingChaotically Wed 17-Dec-14 11:05:15

Eeyore. Thanks - v helpful.
Woody - I did ask her and she wasn't sure either as first role as NWOC.

Nobloomingideapgornot Wed 17-Dec-14 12:11:31

Hi

I'm a nanny with own child working in the Woking area of Surrey. I get £10.50 an hour nett for forty hours over 4 days. I have around 18 years experience, they also give me a monthly cash bonus. I also get paid petrol at 45ppmile and babysitting is extra, none inc in my wages.

Hope this helps

JugglingChaotically Wed 17-Dec-14 13:14:24

Noblooming idea - thanks for that. Slightly more. Did you work for the same family before? Or for a long time?
Would of course pay petrol or any other transport.
Any others that can share what they pay or are paid?
Thanks

eeyore12 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:56:26

I have been working in childcare for 17 yrs and am fully qualified and would only be looking for £10 net without my little boy coming so I think noblooming is very unusual in what she gets from her family. I work in Surrey very close to the london border so wages round here are near the top end. In my current post I do 31.5 hrs a week at £8.50 net a hour so it does depend on what you want to pay/a nanny needs to earn matching. As I said before the odd hours you need is just afternoons and holiday can come with a premium on the amount you pay as it limits the nanny being about to get other work. I now do three full days so could if needed find work to fit round it whereas before doing just after school four days a week I couldnt.

JugglingChaotically Wed 17-Dec-14 19:33:01

Thanks eeyore.
It suits our potential nanny only to work afternoons in term time so time with her DC. Hopefully a win, win!
Fingers crossed.

eeyore12 Wed 17-Dec-14 20:13:43

Yep that's why I did the afternoon only job while my son was still little and also so he wasn't at work for so long but now he is older and starting nursery soon I felt the move to full days at work and full days with him would work better. Good luck hope it all works out.

JugglingChaotically Wed 17-Dec-14 20:28:16

Eeyore, how old was your DS when it swapped to full days? Tks.

JugglingChaotically Wed 17-Dec-14 20:32:29

Oops. When you swapped to full days? iPhone autocorrect strokes again!
Or strikes even....

homeaway Fri 19-Dec-14 16:41:16

Be careful about talking about net rates as it will depend on her tax as to how much she will get. I would agree a gross salary.

eeyore12 Fri 19-Dec-14 16:51:00

He was 9 months when I did four afternoons and then four full days in the holidays and I changed jobs at the beginning of oct to three full days when he was nearly 23 months

As the above poster says make sure you agree a gross wage and that is what is in the contract.

Nobloomingideapgornot Fri 19-Dec-14 17:52:21

Hi

I didn't work for them before, that was a new position that I've now been in for just over two years, they are making me redundant so I'm taking the opportunity to relocate next yr.
I am paid top rate but my child's needs totally come second, he has to go to classes etc that are arranged for my charges, if he's sick then I don't get to stay home to look after him, I have to make alternative arrangements.
If I'm needed to babysit as I was last night, he had to come with me as my husband was too sick to look after him, meaning he wasn't in his own bed until 10.30pm on a school night.
He has hospital appointments at the mo but I can't go as too frequent for the parents to be off work, so something quite personal I'm not able to deal with.
I couldn't go to my sons nativity because I had to look after them.
He has to be up at six every morning in the holidays to come with me.
So as a family there are sacrifices that have to be made in order for me to command that kind or wage and be the flexible cover that my family need.

I only work four days so flex up to do the fifth or change days.
It's not ideal so they feel paying me the above is a reflection of the reliability that I have provided over the last two and a bit years, I've had two sick days (throwing up) colds etc I've gone in even if a sofa day for me. In their eyes they get the same care as someone without own child, they respect that I still need to provide for my family. I do everything I can to go over and above what's expected on a daily basis.

I take deliveries for them, liaise with builders, cook family meals, do some of their washing, don't charge them if they are late as I do get off a few mins early here and there, reciprocal overnights.

I've worked full time since he was a few weeks old and never had a problem being paid around the level I am now within a few pence or two. I've had some temp roles and then two longer term positions.

Hope this is helpful!

Victoria2002 Fri 19-Dec-14 19:12:30

When I had my son my boss reduced my wage by 20% HOWEVER you need to consider that part-time or after-school jobs often start at a slightly higher rate than full-time jobs.

JugglingChaotically Sat 20-Dec-14 21:22:01

All. Thanks for the info.
Really helpful.
NoBloomingIdea - yes I can see that is over and above re overtime.
Your employers clearly need serious commitment and your salary reflects they so it's a win win!
Though I don't see the point on putting your charge first. That just work.
And if your child is sick then surely it's normal for unpaid leave or annual leave? It is for me if I don't turn up because my child is sick - so if our nanny needs to take time out for sick child I will expect no less.
Clearly vegging on sofa is ok if our nanny or her child is sick though. We all do that!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now