Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Keys not been returned from previous employee?

(11 Posts)
mrsmatchstick Sat 13-Dec-14 20:59:14

As mentioned in another post, I had a Nanny who has left with no notice due to her own personal issues. She still has our house keys (plus other things) and I'm concerned about what to do if they do not find their way back ASAP. Contract says they must be returned immediately but does not state any penalty for not doing so - something I will correct with future employees after this!

Has anyone else been in this situation? I'd rather have the locks changed than her have a spare set of keys laying around, but that's not exactly a cheap option.

DeckTheHoopsWithBoughsOfHolly Sat 13-Dec-14 21:04:46

How long ago did she leave?

If she has "personal issues" does she just need a few days to sort herself out?

mrsmatchstick Sat 13-Dec-14 21:15:40

It's been a week so I'm hoping they will find their way back soon. I really like the girl so don't begrudge her time to sort herself out at all, she's still contacting me about her wages being paid though so hopefully they keys are on her to do list too.

Just wondered if anyone had been in the situation where they didn't come back and what the outcome was.

CountingThePennies Sat 13-Dec-14 21:17:07

Dont pay her until she has returned the keys.

I would still change the locks though as she could of got a key cut

LuckyLopez Sat 13-Dec-14 21:18:07

Can you collect them?

needtomanup Sat 13-Dec-14 21:36:46

I'd offer to pick them up though not knowing her personal reasons for leaving without notice maybe this isn't possible. Could you ask her to leave them under her mat/plant by the front door and collect them if she's unable to meet you?

wewishyou Sat 13-Dec-14 22:21:40

When you say you will pay her wages, it is not for the notice she hasn't done right? Isn't there a penaltu for leaving without notice?

For the spare key, I would be firm. How far does she leave? Can you go and pick them up in the worst case?

mrsmatchstick Sat 13-Dec-14 22:37:45

Her wages for which she worked plus accrued holiday. There's no penalty for her leaving without notice. She was always reliable until leaving.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable doorstepping as her situation does sound tricky but will hope the keys and other bits are returned swiftly soon. As I say, I'm not sure it's too concerning yet as I know she has a lot going on, but I apprecaiate the responses thank you.

FlorenceMattell Sun 14-Dec-14 15:21:13

If she was trustworthy when she worked for you then I think you are over reacting. Your keys are just as safe as they have always been.
Now she is not employed by you doesn't mean she will want to enter your home ???
Why wouldn't she return the keys?
No idea what home situation is but your spare door key might not be a top priority if illness etc.
Just email/text a polite reminder re keys.
Don't hold back wages that's silly and probably illegal.

mrsmatchstick Sun 14-Dec-14 15:41:55

I've not said I'd withhold her wages, I'd clearly definitely not do that! As I've already said, she was reliable before leaving, and I'm not concerned about her walking in, she clearly has enough going on.

I was unsure whether anyone else has had this situation and how long they leave it before having to do anything about it. Maybe my messages are being lost in the replies...?

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 14-Dec-14 16:54:30

contact her and suggest she pops round and drops keys off when she picks up wages

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now