Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Offering a gift to the children?

(20 Posts)
wewishyou Sat 13-Dec-14 17:49:48

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a little gift to the children I am nannying for. Do you think it is too much? Would you be annoyed if your nanny offered something for Christmas to your child? Or if you are a nanny, do you plan to offer something?

Thanks for your help grin

ThomasDisaster Sat 13-Dec-14 17:50:48

I can't imagine anyone being annoyed.

We buy for our childminder and she buys for my DS

Girlwithnotattoos Sat 13-Dec-14 17:55:59

Tbh I'd think it odd if you didn't get something little for the children that you spend your time looking after. It would look as if you didn't care.

LightTripper Sat 13-Dec-14 18:14:24

I agree, something small is nice!

PixieofCatan Sat 13-Dec-14 18:19:55

I make knitted dinosaurs for my charges smile

WiseKneeHair Sat 13-Dec-14 18:20:43

Our nanny buys the DC small presents for christmas and their birthdays. We also get presents for her and her daughter. Tbh, I think it's lovely.

nbee84 Sat 13-Dec-14 18:31:41

I've never not bought a present for any children I've looked after (though have bought Hanukkah presents rather than Christmas presents for Jewish children). I'm sure they would be delighted to get a gift smile

I always buy for charges, even after I've left I continue to do so

HSMMaCM Sat 13-Dec-14 19:02:51

I've bought for my mindees every year (wish I could knit dinosaurs).

PixieofCatan Sat 13-Dec-14 19:24:12

You really don't HSM the Christmas Eve battle with myself to complete them, drop them off and then drive 3 hours to our families homes is not fun! hmm

needtomanup Sat 13-Dec-14 21:33:01

I've always bought for my charges and something small for the parents too. I couldn't imagine the parents being annoyed by it.

HSMMaCM Sat 13-Dec-14 22:17:02

Haha 24 PixieofCatan

HSMMaCM Sat 13-Dec-14 22:17:16

Ignore the 24!

Callaird Sun 14-Dec-14 11:23:44

I always buy for my charges. And my ex-charges. I also make things for the parents from my charge. Nothing too expensive but I don't buy for my bosses! It's so difficult to know what to buy for them, my bosses have all liked expensive (£50+) bottles of wine.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 14-Dec-14 16:56:26

have always brought gifts for children i look after

and then make something from kids for the parents

HSMMaCM Sun 14-Dec-14 19:01:52

My mindees have made boxes full of tat beautiful artwork for their parents for Christmas

Cullercoats88 Tue 16-Dec-14 16:48:05

I buy books from the book people, each child gets one and then we make cranberry and orange pies/ginger biscuits/mince pies for parents.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 16-Dec-14 16:58:08

Always buy gifts for my charges, this year eldest has earrings, a book, a bath fizzer and tube of smarties. Youngest has a wii game, lego spiderman, bath fizzer and smarties.

ive been with them 6 years though and the presents have grown from a book to the above over the years.

They will also buy me presents.

FrancieHurley Thu 18-Dec-14 01:49:27

This is so sweet. No parents should be annoyed.
Kids will be happy to have something not only from parents but also from a nanny.

HowsTheSerenity Thu 18-Dec-14 02:01:58

I always bought birthday and Christmas presents and got them in return. You are not just an employee you are that little bit more so its fine.
I left my last nanny family three years ago and i send a yearly care package to them....although the eldest two now get junk food parcels to university from Australia full of the food I converted them onto (its amazing how much a then 15 year old will do for clinkers and caramello koalas).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now