Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ofsted registered nannies

(7 Posts)
catellington Wed 10-Dec-14 10:24:57

I am going to be looking for a nanny to look after 2 yr old dd and 3 mo newborn from about June 2015. I haven't recruited a nanny before and have some questions:

1. Is there an easy way to filter a search on any of the websites so I only see Ofsted registered nannies? Or is there a way I can get a list of Ofsted registered nannies from Ofsted? We will be using the new childcare scheme and in order to qualify our nanny must be Ofsted registered.

2. If we find a good nanny who isn't registered, is it an arduous process for them to become Ofsted registered? Would they have to organise this or should we do it?

3. When should we start contacting potential candidates for a June 2015 start? Would January be too soon?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Yerazig Wed 10-Dec-14 10:34:24

To answer some of your questions. No there isn't a way to filter out the ofstead registered nannys as such. And when i became registered it took a few months to be full completed. Takes some people less some more especially if they are not originally from the uk or have lots of previous address in regards to the Dbs (the new crb police check) which has to be done as well. Plenty of nannies are not registered so you wouldn't want to just be looking for already registered nannies as you will obviously be cutting out a lot of nannies. The ofstead registration benefits the parents only so many nannies will not register unless asked to be by their bosses. And in regards to paying the employers should pay for it as they are obviously the only ones benefiting from having a nanny registered.

catellington Wed 10-Dec-14 11:00:26

Thanks very much for your advice Yerazig, I will look up on Ofsted for some guidance on the process.

nannynick Wed 10-Dec-14 11:46:23

Ofsted aim to register in 12 weeks. It can be a lot faster than that but also longer.

In theory your local authority Family Info Service can provide a list of those registered. However they probably won't know who is looking for work and may not have permission to provide contact details.

Ofsted website can tell you the number of registrations in a certain radius of your postcode but no contact info.

You can specify that you want someone already registered. It may narrow your options but you may find enough applicants.

Start recruitment around 4 months in advance then ramp up recruitment effort after a month or so if no suitable applicants.

catellington Wed 10-Dec-14 15:38:12

Thank you for your help, will probably start straight after Christmas.

I think the new childcare scheme starts in September so should be plenty of time to recruit and then start the Ofsted process.

nannynick Wed 10-Dec-14 16:31:07

Yes the Tax-Free Childcare scheme is due to start in September but it is being phased in so exactly when each child qualifies I don't think has been announced.

NannyNim Wed 10-Dec-14 19:39:37

Depending on where you live I think you can find a list of Ofsted registered nannies on the local childcare register (they're listed as "home child carers").

My current employers asked me to register and I've had a couple of people call and offer me a job after finding my details this way. I wouldn't mind except that I'm not currently looking for a job and I'm live-in so my contact details are those of my employers confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now