Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do I stay or go???

(6 Posts)
lovebeingananny Tue 09-Dec-14 11:19:27

I've been thinking about changing jobs for the last few months. Although I love my current job, I don't have much to do during the day when they are at school.

So I have been looking sort of half heartedly as I'm not really sure that I am ready to leave. BUT I have been offered a job!

It's a nannyshare, which I have done before. BUT I keep wandering whether doing a nannyshare is really right for me at the moment. I've had health issues over the last couple of years. All sorted as far as I know, but I still need regular 3 monthly checks. This is where my doubts set in. Although I know months in advance when my appointments are I still find it awkward asking my bosses to work their day around me. If there are two lots of parents, I think I am adding more stress!

In my current role I have free time during the day and a network of nanny friends who can always help cover me.

I have just been approached by a local mum who would like a nanny for 2/3 days a week. She seems happy to share with my current employers and it would mean I could still fit in appointments etc, or take the baby with me.

I'm questioning myself as I'm not sure whether moving on would be stupid, or if it's what I need to do and I'm just worried about leaving my safe and secure current job!

Any thoughts gratefully received.

holeinmyheart Tue 09-Dec-14 20:05:22

I think if you are happy then you should stay where you are. Is there anything that you could do to amuse yourself during the day?
You could look for free courses at a local college for things to add to your CV.
Such as Counselling, Child Care further qualifications etc, and then apply for a glam job somewhere warm!

cansu Tue 09-Dec-14 20:43:14

To be honest if you have free time during day and some flexibility I think you would be mad to give this up.

Karoleann Tue 09-Dec-14 20:54:06

Personally, I would not want my baby to be taken to a doctors appointment, especially at a hospital (too germy). But as its only 3 monthly, I'm sure you could manage to book a day off.

Could you manage the extra child during school holidays? - again its difficult trying to juggle various ages and meet all their needs, without having a baby around. Are the current family happy to share? Could you just do a trial couple of days and see if it works for you and for them.

nannynick Tue 09-Dec-14 21:13:43

Will the logistics work, can you physically transport all the children?

Not a daft question as carseats take up space and it can be tricky if not impossible to fit three across the rear seats in many cars. So consider the age of the children, types of carseats in use now and as they get older. Will things fit?

Would babies parents really want baby going to hospital appointment? They might, they might not, they may or may not be able to take the day off. Worth chatting to them and your current employer about it as to make a nannyshare work you will need them talking to each other about many different things.

OhReallyDear Tue 09-Dec-14 23:46:06

I am working in a nannyshare with 3 children under 3 at the moment. I want to be paid to get bored during the day, I am exhausted :D

No I am joking, I love my charges and i guess you don;t do nothing when they are at school wink. But if they went to school and I had some hours free during the day, I wouldn't look for another job. Can't you tidy up their wardrobes, cook in advance, do anything?

I don't understand why you want to change if you can actually do a nannyshare for that job so you won't be bored during the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now