Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Long gap in working hours

(6 Posts)
silversixpence Tue 09-Dec-14 08:48:29

I am starting a job where there is a gap of 4 hours or so between morning and afternoon sessions. My dd (22 months) goes to a childminder where she is very happy, and the cm picks up my son from school 1 day a week and I then pick them both up at the end of the day.

I am wondering whether to drop dd say 8-12 then pick her up and then drop both dc back off together for the afternoon 4-6.30. This is no major problem for me as home, cm and school are all within 2-3 mins drive and I'd do drop offs and pick ups on the way to or from work. But it is just one day a week (I do mornings only the rest of the week) so would it be less disruptive all round if I pay the extra for her to keep DD and pick up DS from school? It would mean I could get on with a few things at home/work and have a more relaxed day but id feel a bit guilty leaving DD all day when I don't really need to!

Artandco Tue 09-Dec-14 08:54:59

I would prob just leave her there tbh. As she gets older she may not want to go back for the afternoon, and you will be fairly rushed still to feed her, let her nap, collect oldest, rush back and drop off.

It's only one day so I would use those 3/4 hours to go shopping/ wrap gifts/ have doc or hair appointments etc

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 09-Dec-14 09:04:54

Tbh the cm will most likely charge you the whole day anyway as she won't be able to find a mindee 12-4

So make use and don't feel guilty. She will settle in better that day rather then being dropped off then picked up then dropped off then picked up

nannynick Tue 09-Dec-14 09:26:37

I would leave DD there so you can get things done which she would find dull. Also you are likely to be charged regardless of DD physically being there as would be hard to sell that space to someone else.

silversixpence Tue 09-Dec-14 09:40:33

My cm is fully flexible so I wouldn't be charged extra for the time, but we tried it for a day last week and it worked out really well with her keeping the kids for the full day. I am now leaning towards keeping her there the full day which will give me a chance to go down to our new allotment for a few hours each week

HSMMaCM Tue 09-Dec-14 13:14:50

I would leave her there. Better for her than going backwards and forwards and gives you time for boring admin stuff - shopping, allotment, doctors, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now