Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice please

(6 Posts)
Char22thom Fri 05-Dec-14 21:49:45

Hi, I am a primary school teacher who has had several nannying jobs in the past and have been considering returning to nannying. I have had 2 close family bereavements this year and have found teaching working 60+ hours a week plus the high level of stress and pressure too much. I have been signed off for the last 6 weeks and shortly after being signed off I handed in my notice. I officially leave in 2 wks time and would like to start applying for nannying jobs, can anyone offer any advice as to whether this absence from work is likely to be a stumbling block for me in terms of finding a nannying job? Will this count against me? Should I be honest about my teaching work situation? Thanks in advance x

culturemulcher Fri 05-Dec-14 22:06:29

I had a nanny for my DC when they were younger, and I have to say I'd see a nanny with primary school teaching on her cv as a definite advantage.

I really can't see why anyone would think it wasn't a good thing?

Char22thom Fri 05-Dec-14 22:27:45

Thankyou, I thought it would be an advantage esp if there are school aged chn in the family. My concern is whether I'm likely to be employed given that I have just had 6wks off for stress related illness (def work related though) x

culturemulcher Fri 05-Dec-14 22:31:29

I'm sorry - I mean to add that I'm sorry you've been through such a tough time.

I think any prospective employer would completely understand your reasons if you were upfront about them.

jendot2 Sat 06-Dec-14 07:35:38

I would also say be upfront about the gap. Think about your response to the questions that will be asked by any potential employers, how you will cope with another full time job, why nannying is less stressful etc etc they will possibly worry that you will end up signed off sick from their employment and will need plenty of reassurance that you are stable, committed and reliable.
For a family with slightly older children an ex teacher is a definite bonus.

Callaird Sat 06-Dec-14 11:43:32

Only a hard hearted person would judge you for taking time off if you are recently bereaved so you wouldn't want to work for them anyway!

I took 8 months off when my boyfriend died, I couldn't look after myself let alone children! Everyone that asked about it was very sympathetic and completely understanding.

Good luck and be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now