Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

LP working abroad for 5 days

(8 Posts)
BelleCurve Fri 05-Dec-14 10:22:25

Just looking for some ideas really. My employer wants me to work 5 days abroad a couple of times a year for 5 days at a time. I have DS6 and am an LP. I have an au pair currently for before and after school care, but she couldn't do sole charge for that long.

I have travelled overnight before, and my mum has helped out - but she also works and I want to check out all the paid childcare options in case. Would it be possible to take DS out of school with a tutor with me for the 5 days, or better to get a sole charge nanny?

Any advice appreciated.

Unexpected Fri 05-Dec-14 11:13:07

You will a need a sole charge nanny or some form of home-based childcare. School won't agree to you taking your child out several times a year for up to a week (regardless of the tutoring) and it will be classed as unauthorised absence. Apart form that, surely the costs of paying for a tutor for a full week (because they can't then take any other students in that week) plus their flight and hotel/meal costs would be prohibitive?

FelixTitling Fri 05-Dec-14 11:26:01

Can you plan the working away so it lands it school hols? I have a friend who does this and is able to take her kids with her and arrange crèche style childcare through her employers in the organisations she works for while away. She works for a University.

Or, also working on the school holiday theory, could you take the au pair with you and have self-catering type accom arranged?

As another alternative, and I know someone who does this too, can your ds stay with a friend for the week? You could offer to return the childcare favour for a week in school hols or a series of weekend sleepovers.

TywysogesGymraeg Fri 05-Dec-14 11:37:37

We used to trade favours with friends - friends often had our dcs when we needed to be both away at the same time, or just fancied a weekend away, and we'd return the favour (not necessarily the same one) when they needed it.

If would make you feel better about asking, you could offer money, or just cost of food for the week.

Othewise, I don't see why an AP can't take sole charge of a 6yo for a week - I'd pay her extra of course, but it's not out of the question.

TywysogesGymraeg Fri 05-Dec-14 11:39:07

Or combine the AP and sleeping round a friends options, so that they do a couple of nights each?

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 05-Dec-14 21:22:57

i would either get a temp nanny(costly, but would work pay) or exchange favours with friends at school

agree it too much for ap, but maybe she does a night and then at school friend

BelleCurve Sun 07-Dec-14 16:11:16

It might be ok for some au pairs, but my current au pair likes her downtime and wouldn't be up for the responsibility for 5 days straight.

I'm a bit stuck for sleepover friends that DS would be happy with - he hasn't slept over before and his best friend's mum is also LP who works fulltime.

I think if DM can't help out, I will need to try the temp nanny solution - any ideas where to look? I don't think work would pay- I will have to sort it myself.

I could probably organise the trip in school holidays, but where I am going isn't kid or adult friendly (industrial estate in the middle of nowhere) so he would be v bored during the day away from home comforts.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 07-Dec-14 18:12:04

where are you? we can suggest agencies or maybe some local nannies on here who could come and stay the night at yours if you trust any of us nutters grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: