Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Am I likely to find a nanny for just 3-4 hours per day?

(17 Posts)
HopeNope Wed 03-Dec-14 20:22:04

Hi,

I work part-time from home, 3-4 hours per day.

Am I likely to find a nanny who would be willing to do those hours?

Thanks

Unexpected Wed 03-Dec-14 20:28:49

I think quite possibly yes, especially if you have some flexibility over your hours. It could suit someone studying part-time or a nanny whose own child is at school or an after-school nanny who needs extra hours in the daytime.

CaulkheadUpNorth Wed 03-Dec-14 20:30:22

Yes, but a lot of nannies prefer sole charge, without parents in the home/around, so that might be your issue, rather than the hours.

nannynick Wed 03-Dec-14 20:32:14

Depends when the hours are. 10-2 could work well for someone with school aged children.
If it was someone with their own child/children would you be happy for their children to come during school holidays / your child going on outings with nanny plus their children?

MajesticWhine Wed 03-Dec-14 20:32:27

I think yes, no problem. But it might depend where you live. I have a part-time nanny who is quite happy to do odd hours here and there. But it seems there's no shortage of people like that in London.

HopeNope Wed 03-Dec-14 20:53:39

Thanks everyone. In London, so hopefully it will be possible.

May I ask what's a mother's helper is? Would that be better suited for me? (and as I understand it is more affordable)

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 03-Dec-14 23:48:49

mothers help generally do more housework/helping and dont have sole charge of child/ren

nannies normally dont like pwah as children play up

HopeNope Thu 04-Dec-14 12:14:14

Does anyone know how I can go about finding one?

MajesticWhine Thu 04-Dec-14 15:41:02

Word of mouth is by far the best way of finding a nanny. Ask friends and neighbours or their nannies if they know anyone who would interested. Alternatively, you could try advertising the post on Gumtree. But you will probably have a lot of badly written replies to sift through. Be very specific in what you want, and ask for a CV to help you filter out time wasters. You could also try an agency, but that's possibly less good for finding someone part-time, and it's expensive.

tethersend Thu 04-Dec-14 15:43:46

Try ink{http://www.findababysitter.com\www.findababysitter.co]]m}.

I found someone great on there for two hours, three days a week.

tethersend Thu 04-Dec-14 15:44:22

Not sure why the link went wrong...

find a babysitter

minipie Thu 04-Dec-14 16:00:00

Try childcare.co.uk and nannyjob. If you have a local internet forum try that too.

wrt working at home - I think as long as you are clear you will tuck yourself away in a study and not be hovering/popping in to see child, then that should be less of an issue.

I think nannies find it hard when parent keeps popping in and out or intervening when child gets upset etc as it hinders their own bond/way of doing things, but if you are happy to "leave for work" (ie go off to a study) then it's less of an issue.

mothers helper by contrast would probably expect you to be around more to share the childcare/household tasks. Also more willing to do housework I believe.

HopeNope Thu 04-Dec-14 19:37:07

Thanks everyone.

Tether, if you are in London, would you be willing to share the wonderful person you found please? smile

minipie Thu 04-Dec-14 19:43:57

Hey, just another idea - you could try to find a nanny share.

If you share with someone whose kids are school age then you would both effectively get sole care (except in school hols).

If you share with someone whose DC goes to nursery school then you could get sole charge for 2.5 hours a day if you can time your work to fit with nursery - the rest of the time would be shared care

Or you might find someone whose child is not at nursery or school but fancies the idea of sharing for part of the day but not all of it.

Nanny costs don't have to be split equally.

minipie Thu 04-Dec-14 19:44:40

Meant to say - an obvious benefit of a nanny share is you are pairing up with someone who already has a nanny they know and like - so pre vetted to quite a large extent.

tethersend Thu 04-Dec-14 19:52:05

I would Hope, but she's a student, not a nanny- the short hours suit her too as they fit around her classes. I am in London though- whereabouts are you? PM me if you don't want to say on here.

There are qualified nannies on there too smile

HopeNope Thu 04-Dec-14 22:44:21

Sent you a PM tether smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now