Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do I go to work?

(16 Posts)
BeeRayKay Tue 02-Dec-14 21:01:09

I'm looking into going back to work in the next few months, so started pricing up childcare options. I have a Two year old who I'd Need full time care for and a 5 year o!d I would need wrap around care for.

So, only two childminders pick up from my five year olds school, one is full and the other only does pick up from the junior site not the infants and won't be able to do infant pick up for the next six months.

There are no nurseries that do childcare provision for that age group.

the only school breakfast/after school clubs there are dont cater to my daughter school either.

Suggestions?

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 02-Dec-14 21:50:20

What's your budget?

Nanny

Nwoc

mooth Tue 02-Dec-14 22:09:26

Either an au pair, nanny, or a prep school with a kindergarten that takes from two years and up.

ChalkyC Tue 02-Dec-14 22:13:45

We have similar ages but my youngest is three and gets his early years funding at a local pre school. We have a nanny for 2 full days and one after school pick up per week, I work 3.5 days. We pay about £1000/month for this.....

BeeRayKay Wed 03-Dec-14 07:31:49

We don't qualify for any help. We are at that horrible middle epoint where we don't get tax credits but don't earn a massive amount.

aren't nannys extremely expensive? changing my eldests school isn't an option. they're all over subscribed here

nannynick Wed 03-Dec-14 07:56:17

Childminder in 6 months time. Youngest at a nursery.

Only two childminders - are you in a small village? Are there others in nearby areas who may consider the school pickup and have space for 2 year old all day?
Call FIS for a list of childminders, don't rely on online listing as not all will list online.

A live-out nanny fulltime could easily cost £20-30K more in some areas and depending on length of day.

Karoleann Wed 03-Dec-14 10:55:18

There is a nursery near here that also takes older children after school - its worth seeing if there are any near you.

Otherwise, I would look at putting your son's name down on the waiting list for a different school with after school care.

Nannies are really expensive.

Nursery for the 2 year old half days and then an au pair may also work.

Otherwise, could you ask for flexible working or find something more part-time.

It is really difficult and I think that schools should be compelled to provide after/before school care rather than just being required to produce a list.I know a couple of mums who gave up work just before their children started school as they couldn't find affordable childcare.

BeeRayKay Wed 03-Dec-14 11:22:39

There are loads of childminders, just only two that do pick ups from that school. its FIS list I've used, ive no idea where else to look. sorry I know this sounds dim. but I've no one else to ask about it. none of my friends use childminders or childcare. in fact non of them work.

Artandco Wed 03-Dec-14 11:29:27

Adjust both your and dhs hours would be easiest. So one of you works super early but back in time for school pick up, and one works after school drop off until later

You can use nursery for youngest in between or a nanny with own child. Someone 9am-3pm prob works out same as nursery all day and advantage that they will have eldest 9-3 in holidays. If you can work 7am-2.30pm, and dh say 9.30am-7pm that could work well

Jinxxx Wed 03-Dec-14 11:36:55

I was just about to say what Artandco said. It's a family issue, not just your problem. I'd also say talk to some childminders - they may have suggestions or examples of arrangements that have worked for others - for example, may not pick up at 3 but could pick up after netball/chess/whatever at 4.

Cindy34 Wed 03-Dec-14 11:58:21

Does the FIS list give indication of address? If so then try calling those childminders who live near the school. Maybe they don't do pickups now but might consider it in future, especially if it means they get one child all day plus a child before/after school.

adsy Wed 03-Dec-14 14:14:49

look at childcare.co.uk
If you view a CM's profile some will contact you directly ( if they have paid membership) this means you don't have to pay.
Make a profile saying what you need and which school and hopefully someone will get in touch.
the FIS is woefully outdated most of the time

BeeRayKay Thu 04-Dec-14 12:23:27

it is a family issue yes. but my husband earns far more than I could at the moment (and probably for at least the next five years) and his hours aren't able to be changed.

my friend has offered to do wrap around care for my eldest so it seams I just needed to ask lol

Viviennemary Thu 04-Dec-14 12:29:53

What about an evening or weekend job for the time being. So no childcare fees if you have a partner at home.

BeeRayKay Thu 04-Dec-14 20:13:46

Because I want to start my career again.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 04-Dec-14 20:16:38

I would book the childminder for the baby with a view to using them for the eldest in six months. Then, in the meantime, use the friend who.is offering to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now