Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it possible to hire a nanny/childminder just for one day?

(7 Posts)
ArchangelGallic Sun 30-Nov-14 20:03:56

We're getting married in 2016 and having reception in a hotel. Numbers will be small and there could be 6 or 7 children, ranging in age from 14 months to 13 years.

Ideally I would like to hire someone to supervise the children during the reception and evening so other guests can enjoy themselves without distractions. I appreciate that the older children are self-sufficient but I thought it would be nice to set up an area with some games and activities for them. I think there's nothing worse than bored children running around hotels and although they are generally well-behaved, I understand that sitting around chatting all day is not the most exciting thing for a child to be doing.

So, my question would be, is it possible to hire someone to supervise any activities and keep an eye on babies after they've gone to bed, how much is it likely to cost and where do I find an agency or nanny?

nannynick Sun 30-Nov-14 20:22:05

Sounds like you need a creche service. Some may offer it, others may do it with someone else helping.

Agencies like Tinies offers it as a Wedding Creche service.
Google: Mobile Creche
Also ask the hotel. They may have a particular provider that is used or they may have constraints on what you can and can't do.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 30-Nov-14 20:43:05

this is what my best friend does, is based in kent but does travel an hour or so to venues, so depending where you are, ie if in manchester then too far lol

i am one of her babes smile

bearsted babes

ArchangelGallic Sun 30-Nov-14 21:08:09

Didn't think of asking the hotel, good idea.

Wedding will be in Chester area so too far for your friend, blondes but thank you for the link. I'll check it out to get an idea of what's possible.

Ebb Mon 01-Dec-14 13:26:56

A quick google found this company that seems to cover Chester. I'm sure there's plenty more.

Xmas2014MN3262 Mon 01-Dec-14 19:13:28

You would need more than one adult.

lovelynannytobe Mon 01-Dec-14 21:46:01

TBH I would just put together a pack to keep the kids busy (like a party bag)get some games, maybe colouring, making necklaces, tattoos, decorate a silly hat etc if the numbers are this small and age range so big. I would just make it personal for each child. 13 year olds are likely to be busy on their phones anyway. That would save you £££ on mobile creche.
If babies (I don't know how many there are) have a routine why not just get a sitter from sitters.co.uk who could just stay with the baby in a bedroom while parents are having fun at reception till late.
I babysat for somebody at a wedding once. Came about 7.30pm, parents put the baby in pjs and gave me a bottle to feed it. The baby went to sleep soon after and I just stayed till reception finished.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now