Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny Christmas gift/ bonus

(28 Posts)
Ifyoubuildit Sun 30-Nov-14 08:51:51

Hi, I'm new to having a nanny, this has been out first year. Our nanny is leaving at Christmas and I want to get her a Christmas and leaving present. Is there any protocol around how much to spend?

I don't want to look stingy!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 30-Nov-14 10:40:57

Is she Leaving out of her own doing?

I have always got a weeks salary and very appreiative of that. Some nanniea do get the same others don't. It depends on what you can afford

What you and any other employer needs to do is give a card and say thanks. Seems some don't even do that sad

And up to you for any bonus

Ifyoubuildit Sun 30-Nov-14 10:50:09

Thanks. Yes she's leaving because my work contract is ending, it was always a temporary position to finish at Christmas and she has a new job in Jan.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 30-Nov-14 10:55:39

A small pressie and then some Cash or vouchers always goes down well if you can afford it

LightTripper Sun 30-Nov-14 12:01:11

Sorry for thread hijack but I have a slightly similar question... I have a nanny starting just before Christmas. Will obviously get her a gift (probably vouchers or some such as I won't know her v well yet!)

Should I also do a mini bonus pro rated from the annual amount though? Or is that a bit weird?

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 30-Nov-14 12:08:19

A small cash gift would be nice if you would normally give one. Ie next years xmas

But obv as only been there a short while not to give a weeks bonus - maybe a days?

AusBabysitter Mon 01-Dec-14 22:25:57

As a nanny, cash or vouchers are always much appreciated, rather than something you think we would like.

My boss doesn't do bonus' but all my friends get one. Would really come in handy with trip coming up but hey, I'm not complaining! I got a nice voucher for my favourite shop last year.

Hanl30 Tue 02-Dec-14 11:31:00

In 10 years of nannying I've never received a bonus. I really appreciate the thoughtful gifts I've received though instead.

NannyNim Tue 02-Dec-14 19:27:20

My employers don't give me bonuses but they know me well so give me very thoughtful gifts that I really appreciate from them and something small and a bit silly fron my charge (age 2).

WellTidy Wed 03-Dec-14 09:28:49

There is always a huge range of experiences and opinions on MN about this. I've had a nanny for 6 years now, and asked a similar question in the early days.

Nanny's experiences range from getting nothing at all, to a small, thoughtful gift (maybe something that the children have chosen, or made, or something that the parents know that the nanny will love) to cash bonuses of maybe a day's wages or up to a week's wages. There is massive divergence.

I give a day's wages as a bonus, plus a box of chocolates or something along those lines. And a card written by the DC and a card written by us saying how much we appreciate her.

In the summer (the anniversary of our nanny joining us) we give a week's wages as a bonus. That takes into account the bonus I get from work at the same time, and I think that I couldn't do my job to the level required for me to get a bonus if we didn't have a very good nanny in the first place.

It is completely up to you. Your OP suggests that your nanny has been with you for less than a year and that you won't have a continuing relationship with her. I think, if it were me in those circumstanes, I would give something at the �50 or so mark as a Christmas and leaving gift.

Nicadooby Fri 05-Dec-14 13:40:38

Oh how I miss my Xmas gifts from nannying :-)

WanttogotoDisney Fri 05-Dec-14 18:23:25

I am giving my nanny �250. Plus she gets birthday gifts of a similar value. She is invaluable to us and I like to make sure she knows that.

needtomanup Sat 06-Dec-14 15:30:24

I always get a bonus, gift and flowers but it's completely up to you. Since she hasn't been with you for long maybe a card and a voucher or perfume?

Victoria2002 Sun 07-Dec-14 08:49:46

I think a gift or bonus equal to a weeks wage is usual in London nanny jobs, however different nannies have different experiences. My mate did a nanny share (caring full time for a toddler & baby from different families) one family gave her a CD, the other gave her a weekend in a hotel in Bath!

WellTidy Mon 08-Dec-14 09:05:27

I have friends with nannies, and those nannies are valued and happy in their jobs. Genuinely so smile, they have excellent, long standing working relationships. They are London based, or within the M25. Never have I seen anyone pay a week's wages as a Christmas bonus. Assuming a full time week (say, around 50 hours for a nanny?) at, say �12 per hour, that would be a bonus of �600. That is huge. Obviously, it would be a wonderful Christmas gift, but please don't think it is standard!

(My friends are not the types to be earning seven figure salaries, with enormous bonuses themselves, though.)

Callaird Tue 09-Dec-14 22:01:22

I have had some nice bonus'. I've even had a months wages as a Christmas bonus, I did sit and stare at it open mouthed for about half an hour! But generally a weeks wages has been the norm. Plus a few presents, some silly cheap presents (a bottle of fairy washing up liquid!) to more expensive presents (a Nikon zoom lens and this year I am getting a kitchenaid mixer, which I am super excited about!) to be honest, the presents that mean the most to me are the ones that took a little thought or the children have actually chosen. Whether they cost £25 or £350.

secretcbeebsfan Thu 11-Dec-14 23:53:18

I have never received any gifts/bonuses or anything at Christmas, not even a happy birthday wish when it was my birthday! It makes me so sad that they can't even make a card from the kids for me, I would be so happy with that. I spend money and put a lot of thought into getting their children lovely birthday and Christmas gifts. I will not be buying for the parents this year!

Asleeponasunbeam Tue 16-Dec-14 21:16:31

We're giving our nanny an amount of cash - not sure how to 'present' it though. Just in a card? WIth a note about buying herself a nice gift with it?

Also have a nice present for her DD (same age as one of ours). Now feeling I ought to get nanny something from the DC too. She has two week's holiday at Christmas so the last we'll see her is Friday.

LightTripper Thu 18-Dec-14 00:38:44

I think we've decided to go for chocs and a voucher. And do bonus on anniversary of employment start rather than trying to do a teeny bonus now for a couple of weeks' work! Hope it goes down OK. Will be so much easier next year when we all know each other!!

grobagsforever Sat 20-Dec-14 20:43:06

Had super nanny for five months. She's getting some benfit make up from me, a 'lush' gift box chosen by DD and 200 quid cash bonus. I'm not rich, only have nanny due to absolute necessity but I want her to feel appreciated.

toobreathless Sat 20-Dec-14 21:46:36

Our nanny has only been with us 3 months but is excellent.

We gave her a gift bag containing:
Card with £50 cash
Slippers (she wears them at ours and said DHs needed new ones)
Bauble decorated by children
Tea light holder decorated by children

We also took her out to dinner (pizza empress) as a family.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sat 20-Dec-14 21:55:15

For a while (when the pennies were not as tight as they are now) we gave £500 plus a present at Christmas. (We are north London zone 2, that is pretty standard if not on the low side). This year we gave her £100 - basically cannot afford more and have already cut a ton of corners to keep her in the first place. When our family income increases again then so will her bonuses / our gifts to her.

DearGirl Sun 21-Dec-14 14:22:42

In previous jobs I have had a few small gifts and been very grateful for these.

However in my new job - I have been given a gift from the parents, a gift from dc and a weeks wages! I was in shock when i opened the envelope and need to thank them for being so generous. However before opening the envelope, I read the christmas card and - a note saying thank you and how much I am appreciated - this was lovely and would have been very happy just with this.

wickedwitchofwaterloo Mon 22-Dec-14 21:27:24

In previous jobs, I've had small gifts, £50 tattoo voucher, cards, chocs, slippers when I started a new job. In my current job I got my then weeks wages as a Xmas gift.
This year I got my current (higher) weeks wages as a bonus (to spend on a tattoo wink), some bits for my kitchen as my boss knew I was getting a breadmaker and a 10% pay rise alongside a lovely card saying how much they appreciated me and how hard I'd worked all year. I burst into tears I was so shocked. This family have always been generous but the bonus and pay rise was unexpected. The card is lovely and says some things I will cherish forever fgrin

Greenfizzywater Mon 22-Dec-14 23:45:42

£500 plus a present standard in N London??!! Maybe if you're talking Hampstead or St. John's Wood. I'm giving my nanny £100 plus some bath stuff and chocolates, that's 10 hours net pay and she works 21 hours per week. She costs over half of my net salary a month, which I don't begrudge as she is fantastic with the kids, but no way could I afford £500 and I don't know anyone who gives that sort of bonus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now