Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice about childminder please

(8 Posts)
Sofalily1 Fri 28-Nov-14 14:09:26

Our 13 month dd has been going to a childminder since she 4.5 months old. She settled in well and we never had many issues until now. The childminder does 3 school runs and doesn't seem to hAve any routine for dd. we both work full time so need the childminder to set a routine that suits her, and we can follow it at the weekend. Dd is particularly demanding and can be difficult to feed and get to sleep at the best of times but she is getting about 30 mins sleep a day, and seems to spend a lot of time in the pushchair on school runs- three a day a mile each way. I don't know if I'm worrying for nothing, but dd is exhausted and grumpy when I pick her up which is really starting to upset me.

I feel she is not reading dd very well at the minute

What should I do?

Thank you

Jinxxx Fri 28-Nov-14 14:18:13

Has the childminder's routine changed? I would probably not have chosen a childminder with three school runs for a small baby. Sorry that's not very helpful as you are where you are. If she has changed her routine to the detriment of your DD and without discussing with you, I think that is poor. But whether the routine has changed or you have become less comfortable with it, the first thing surely must be to let the childminder know that you do not feel your DD's needs are being met very well at present and discuss how things can be improved. I also think your suggestion about making efforts to align her routines at home and at the childminder's is the right one.

FlorenceMattell Fri 28-Nov-14 17:45:14

A 13 month year old might be having a nap @9.30 for upto an hour and a second early afternoon maybe 12.30 for 1-2 hours.
She may not need two naps every day.
Why can't she nap when she returns from morning school run and again after lunch?
What times does she nap for you at the weekends?

HSMMaCM Fri 28-Nov-14 17:52:04

If she's doing a long walk mid-day to pick up children from pre school, I'm surprised she's not having a long sleep in the buggy at that time.

Just ask your CM if you can have an update chat and express concerns that your child is not getting enough sleep during the day.

busyDays Fri 28-Nov-14 18:22:10

I'm also surprised that your dd isn't falling asleep in the buggy on such a long walk if she is that tired. If she isn't falling asleep in the buggy then it could well be that she won't fall asleep in a cot for the childminder at home either. I would think it is quite unlikely that your childminder is purposefully not putting her down for naps as a tired grumpy child would make life much harder for her than a nice peaceful sleeping one. So perhaps the issue to address is how to best settle your dd to sleep rather than lack of routine or excessive school runs.

Yerazig Fri 28-Nov-14 19:43:30

Maybe have a talk with the childminder about your issues. But that is one of the downfalls with having a cm compared to a nanny your child's routine can only be considerd to a certain amount when you have to consider the numerous children that can be in a cm setting with all nursery and school drop offs having to be considerd.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 28-Nov-14 21:11:51

3 school runs, what you mean 9/12/3

my 14mth twins sleep 9-10 and then again 1.5hr in pm

would your dd not sleep in the buggy during/after in hall etc

jendot2 Sat 29-Nov-14 08:24:31

Does your cm do a diary for dd? If not maybe you could get a little book and ask her to jot down your dds day, what times she is napping, eating etc maybe say that you are finding the weekend routine tricky and would like to use the cm routine for her at the weekend too.
I am also surprised your dd is not napping on the school runs in the buggy. I struggle to keep mine awake on the way back from playgroup sometimes! Could you suggest cm lies her down and snuggle her up with a blanket/ comforter to encourage her to sleep on the school run.
Are you happy with care otherwise? Is dd being taken to playgroups, play dates, parks? Is she being properly stimulated? Is she eating well with the CM?
As long as she is being properly stimulated and being provided age appropriate activities the school runs probably wouldn't worry me too much. My school is within a 5 minute walk but the little ones love going out to pick up the older ones. We stop to feed the ducks, we collect leaves, the see their preschool friends in the playground. It is part of our 'fun' and we integrate it into our learning objectives is kind of what I am getting at. Rather than bung them in the buggy and ignore them for the school run..does that make sense.
I think you probably need to have a chat with the cm smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now