Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Question about car seats

(7 Posts)
Blimeygirl Thu 27-Nov-14 10:56:01

Just a quick question as I'm not really sure about this and I know someone will know the answer!

At the moment my charges are 3 and 5 years old and there is a baby due soon. So with car seats ( I can't fit three in the back of my car) is it better/ safer to put the baby in a rear facing seat (airbags off) in the front or the five year old with a forward facing with the airbags on? I've been on the government website and it says that either situation is fine but which do you think is better?

Thanks in advance!

FlorenceMattell Thu 27-Nov-14 11:08:00

I think if the government safety advice doesn't stipulate, then in general the baby would be best in the front.
As you can see baby clearly. More likely than a car accident is baby vomiting or being poked/ prodded by 3 year old smile

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 27-Nov-14 11:09:17

I don't like either option and although not helpful to you I always have a works car

I don't like children in the front full stop

Maybe they can swap cars over with you. They obv have a car where can fit in 3 in the back

Cindy34 Thu 27-Nov-14 11:51:36

I would try to have all 3 in the back, with 5 year old on a small booster if that is all that will fit. Sometimes seats won't fit a certain way, but when moved position they do fit. Things like the doors gets in the way of some seats and not others.

Baby in front is option, I would not put 5 year old in front seat as there is no childlock on the door, there are buttons to push, handbrake to release. Air bag off, seat as far back as it will go.

Talk to parents about the options. They will probably have the same problem themselves, so will need to think about how things will fit in their car/cars and if new seats need to be brought. Some seats are thinner than others.

Karoleann Thu 27-Nov-14 14:49:24

I too would put the baby in the front.

I found that I could just about fit the maxi cosi in the middle of two boosters on the back seat in both the Golf and Audi. We couldn't do it when DD moved into the next stage up and ended up getting a new car!

Hanl30 Fri 28-Nov-14 15:55:04

When I had this issue, it was baby in front with approval from the mum.

Blimeygirl Fri 28-Nov-14 19:53:38

Thank you very much guys! You are right and will speak to the family and see what they say! I think they will be able to fit three seats in one of their cars but not the other one. I thought it might be better with the five year old in the front but now I see the point about a three year old in the back with a baby!!

Thanks for your responses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now