Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you pay your nanny sick leave

(10 Posts)
JugglingChaotically Thu 27-Nov-14 08:44:59

Our nanny has been off a few days - previous nannies with colds have come in. Done the minimum, collapsed on sofa or slept in bed during day and then struggled through pick up by taxi if nec.
Current nanny is
much more work to rule in a one way manner.
Arrives late but expects overtime or time in lieu for 10 minutes if we are late!
She's v sweet but main task in term time is pick up of one child aged 7. We do drop off.
So not sure.
Historically have always paid nanny sick other than one nanny where we had to stop after a few weeks (!) as it was long term sick and ultimately she left because of it.
She is v sweet though.

chillynipper Thu 27-Nov-14 08:59:48

I don't have a nanny, but I would if you could afford it. I know ultimately that's not very helpful to you but I wouldn't want someone looking after my children if she had something they could catch.
What is she like the rest of the time? If it's just a few days I would.

Tapestry12 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:58:22

What is in your contract with nanny?
I was ill for first time recently. Took two days off. Was in contract statutory sick pay but as off for two days it would have been no pay.
Talked to my family and I took sick days as holiday.
I have not been ill before and hope not to be again.
Advice from other nannies is for nannies to put money aside each month just in case of sickness.
Some nanny contracts have stated number of full pay sick days then no pay.
Other nannies might have good advice too.
I am never late always early if anything.

JugglingChaotically Thu 27-Nov-14 10:45:56

Chilly. Money is tight. Always.
If our nanny generally went the extra mile, I would feel differently.
Tapestry. Contract is SSP. She has overdrawn on annual leave this year anyway. So looking at toil or unpaid for Christmas.
I feel bad about not paying but it's not an office job and she knows we are in a bind with no support at all and no family in country.
It's an easy job. Full time. One child plus dog in term time, hols much busier clearly.

FlorenceMattell Thu 27-Nov-14 11:13:25

I don't expect sick pay. Have used annual leave for day when I hurt my back.
However this week I caught a virus from charges, am days off but if still ill next week I would expect payment. However unless I'm extremely ill I will still go to work if parents are happy for that. I would maybe avoid cooking from scratch to avoid passing infection, do less household chores. It's difficult for parents to stay home if nanny is ill.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 27-Nov-14 11:13:45

Why is she off? For a cold I feel nannies can come in but have a chilled day on sofa and tv on - rather then have day off

If contract says ssp then don't pay her

If you have been paying her for every sniffle that's Prob why she's been off

I think fair to both employer and employee is a week sick pay - nannies do get ill as only human ....,,.

Think I said to tapestry before that always wise to have a weeks money or more in a Dont touch savings account incase ill as even ssp doesn't pay out for 3 days and is such a pathetic amount that a weeks pay doesn't even cover a days wages for me

Yerazig Thu 27-Nov-14 11:31:08

I think it depends on the relationship you have with your nanny and obviously what you can afford. All my bosses have paid me when I've been off sick. But ive had good relationships with my bosses which in my current job of nearly three years I've had two days off paid. But I'm never late never causes my bosses have extra stress etc so sometimes I think it's abit of give and take.

JugglingChaotically Thu 27-Nov-14 12:14:32

Thanks all. Give and take has been one way.
Think we may pay one day. Max 2 but then tell her SSP.

Ebb Thu 27-Nov-14 19:46:41

I've always been paid if I'm off sick but I'm rarely off sick. Maybe 4 days in 17 years. If I have a cough/cold, I'll always work but take it easy. I realise most parents employ a nanny for reliability but obviously we can get poorly too.

needtomanup Thu 27-Nov-14 22:33:30

I think it depends on the nanny. I've always been paid sick leave though I have very rarely been off sick. It's not in my contract to be paid but I've never been docked wages, I worked for 2 families. There has to be some give and take, I've helped them in the evenings and over weekends for emergencies and would be a bit shocked if they did actually not pay me for the couple of days I was sick (couldn't move or breath properly, was not taking advantage). It's up to you to decide and treat her fairly.

Also turning up late is ridiculous, unless there's snow there's no excuse really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now