Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

3 days notice that i'm not working fulltime and therefore receiving less pay??

(21 Posts)
sideshowbob2 Sat 22-Nov-14 13:26:16

i have been working as a nanny now carer for the same family for nearly 13 years, they have a daughter with SEN needs, recently i received a text message from the daughter on the Monday telling me i didn't need to work full time on the Friday of half term, as her mother was taking holiday, but i only receive 3 hours pay if they take a days family holiday which is my problem, as i know the mother got full pay for taking that day as holiday and full days for me are 10 hours so its quite a lot of difference in money, i couldn't talk to the mother at the time as i didn't time, as it wasn't appropriate to discuss it in front of her daughter, but I've been feeling really annoyed ever since, as i don't want to make problems but money for me doesn't grow on trees and they don't seem to have the realisation that yes they made a saving that day that didn't have to pay me for a full day but i work my finances out monthly and have to account for every penny, why does this happen when you work for a higher class of people??
as just because they have 2 houses and stacks of money does mean i have and money has never been a problem for them, they constantly set their only SEN daughter up for a massive fall because she will out live them and thinks that money just grows on trees because that's how they have brought her up!!
some advice on how to discuss this with the mother would be helpful as i really can't afford for this to happen again and i need to tell her in a way so that she doesn't sack me!! thanks

SandStorm Sat 22-Nov-14 13:31:39

Why is the daughter telling you when you are or aren't required? Surely you should be taking these instructions from the parents?

woodychip Sat 22-Nov-14 13:37:45

Do you have a contract? A contracted number of hours?

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Sat 22-Nov-14 13:40:10

Money doesn't equate to class. They don't sound as if they have any.

SoldeInvierno Sat 22-Nov-14 13:46:56

is this the first time in so many years? maybe the daughter is confused about how things work in normal working relationships

LIZS Sat 22-Nov-14 13:47:42

how old is the daughter now ? Surely it is the parents you have the contract with and as such you should only accept information from them. Could the daughter be playing one off against the other ? Does you contract give notice for notifying changes to hours ? If they don't follow it they should pay in full. tbh maybe you have outgrown their expectations and they feel familiarity means they can take advantage.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 22-Nov-14 14:51:14

Why do you get 3hrs pay instead of whole
Day if they take holiday

Sounds illegal!!!

sideshowbob2 Sat 22-Nov-14 15:15:39

the daughter is nearly 18 with a mental age of 8 years old!
it has happened before, on my contract is says we will try to give you 4 weeks notice of any family holiday when you are not required to work,
holiday pay, not required days of work, bank holidays and family holidays are paid at the term time rate, i work 3 hours a day during term time,
so contacted hours are set as 3hours during term time and 10hours a day when its school holidays when they are not taking a family holiday day!!
they are both higher tax payers, get DLA for their daughter which i told the mother to apply for, since the daughter has been in SEN college and they lost their childcare vouchers its all been very hit and miss, with them letting me down at the last minute!!

sideshowbob2 Sat 22-Nov-14 15:20:54

the daughter has no idea of the value of money, they buy her crap all the time!! she's getting an ipad for christmas because she wants one, even though there's already an ipad, a tablet, a computer, a DS, a wii console and a PSP in the home, the parents call the flat screen 50" a babysitters, they never talk to their own daughter, she never told them recently that a boy had kissed her, as her description of what happens when i leave is daddy goes to sleep and mummy works on her laptop all night til bedtime!!

LIZS Sat 22-Nov-14 15:26:58

You need to tell the mother you cannot take instructions from her daughter and require the 4 weeks notice of any non-working day. You would be better off either renegotiating the contract to avoid future ambiguity or moving on.

sideshowbob2 Sat 22-Nov-14 16:38:35

thanks for all your help everyone, its very hard to pin the mother down to have any kind of conversation, so i'll leave her a note asking her to call me i think!!

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 22-Nov-14 17:36:57

holiday pay should be what you work, so if a day off during holiday time should be 10hrs, ie half term, but if a day off next week then agree would be 3hrs

why did you sign a contract agreeing to that hmm

half term was 3/4 weeks ago depending if at private school or not, so why the problem now a month later?

seem to me you are not happy in this job, so maybe look for another job and hand in your notice

agree parents should be arranging days off not the daughter

sideshowbob2 Sat 22-Nov-14 19:08:36

contract is from 13 years ago, i've been really busy plus i really need the money at the moment to start my own family, they do not know that i'm trying to start my own family, its very complicated as i'm in the process of taking action against my local CCG
i also work as an LST in a primary school been in that job for over 11 years, i use the money i get working after school and school holidays to pay for extra's holidays, cars, large bills etc, there'll get rid of me eventually as they will say they can't afford me, i know they have stacks of my in the bank, as they leave stuff laying about, plus 2 houses, new bmw that never moves off the drive!!
some people just have more money then sense thats all i can say!!

LIZS Sat 22-Nov-14 20:29:33

I think you are overly preoccupied with the fact they are wealthy and you are not . Do they pay you a reasonable wage , has it increased over time ? You sound very unhappy as their employee and it is time to move on . You will get ml and pay from your school job which is a reliable amount. Do you have payslips, p60 etc sufficient to feel confident that the family haven't cut corners on tax and ni and you would even get SMP from them ? In the end for 6 weeks at 90% of whatever they choose to pay in the qualifying period, is it worth the aggravation ?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 22-Nov-14 21:04:15

Actually it sounds like the should be using annualised hours to calculate your holiday time in hours rather than days.
This allows you to calculate holiday for irregular hours like yours.

Vikingbiker Sat 22-Nov-14 21:06:21

I think you should look for a different job after first requesting that it's fairer - you getting 10 hours pay on days you were due to work 10 hours. 3 hours pay on days you were due to work 3 hours. Text mother so she can sit on it

woodychip Sat 22-Nov-14 21:57:11

Why are you reading their bank statements? Or how else do you know how much money they have in the bank?

sideshowbob2 Sun 23-Nov-14 17:25:03

no i don't read their bank statements the mother is very open with the fact that they are both higher tax payers, also the father leaves his bank letters laying about in the study, so i often stumble upon them when looking for paper or a pen to leave the mother a note!
Lonecatwithkitten this sounds interesting how do i annualise hours to calculate holiday and holiday pay??
yes i get £11.53 an hour and 40p a mile and yes i pay tax and NI on both my jobs,
LIZS what is SMP?? sorry i don't understand your reply 90% of what?

woodychip Sun 23-Nov-14 18:04:04

It doesn't mean you have to read them, does it!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 23-Nov-14 18:26:30

The link I posted will lead you to the direct gov calculator for annualised leave��.

LIZS Sun 23-Nov-14 20:07:28

You'd said you were hoping to have a family soon and I assumed you were holding onto this job so that you would get maternity pay and leave. SMP=Statutory Maternity Pay, part of which is based on 90% of your average earnings across particular weeks. However if you moved job before you got pg you'd qualify anyway and presumably most of your earnings come from the other job .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now