Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Where to start - nanny hire

(5 Posts)
eurochick Fri 21-Nov-14 15:34:10

We want to hire a nanny after we both go back to work (in 3 1/2 months' time).

I'm not really sure where to start. I've read that nannyjobs and childcare.co.uk are good places to advertise. What things should be in the advert? What would be a typical salary for a full time nanny (London/Surrey borders)? Is it better to use an agency? Are there any "idiots guides" around to guide us through this? I was hoping to find one on MN but haven't so far so thought I would ask here.

TIA.

GatherlyGal Fri 21-Nov-14 16:20:42

Both of those websites are good but I am using them myself at the moment and not having much luck. It depends on where you are and what you are looking for.

You might find an agency will have a helpful chat with you over the phone without committing you to anything and you could ask them about wages etc as it will depend on your particular area.

I think you should put as much info as possible in an advert to make sure only people who are really interested get in touch as I have found you can waste a lot of time with unsuitable applicants unless you are very clear.

Mention hours; location; duties (if in doubt spell out exactly what you want them to do in terms of meals, housework, trips out); whether you will be around in the day or not; what you expect in terms of peoples' experience and references; first aid; DBS etc.

In terms of interviewing just try and have a list of important questions and the rest should follow in conversation.

Good luck!

nannynick Fri 21-Nov-14 16:36:56

Start with working out exactly what you want, hours of work, tasks during the day, salary, minimum requirements such as do they need to drive, will they provide car or will you.

Make sure you understand payroll requirements and how the salary you decide to pay will change employers NI. Estimate other costs such as weekly activity kitty, food, mileage.

If you use Advanced Search and search posts by my username then you should find cost calculation examples, though will probably be several years old.

Look on sites like NannyJob for what other jobs in area are offering. West London could easily be £12 gross an hour. Surrey outside M25 is likely to be £10-12 gross. This assumes someone with experience and live-out.

nannynick Fri 21-Nov-14 16:40:42

Do you need to use childcare vouchers? If so then insist on someone ALREADY Ofsted registered. The registration process takes a while so if someone starts with you who is not registered and you need them to be then it could be many months until you can use vouchers.

nannynick Fri 21-Nov-14 21:33:24

These may be useful:

London Nanny Costs (thread from Sept 2014)
Employing a Nanny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now