Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Possible childminder - over numbers?

(9 Posts)
Puddlet Fri 21-Nov-14 14:04:07

So I am currently looking for a childminder for an 8 month old and a nearly 3 year old - she'll be 3 when I go back to work. I've met a lady I really liked who says that she has space. She currently has her own toddler at home with her, plus 2 other children of preschool age. So with my two that would make 5. She then has a daughter of reception school age who is there after school. There is no assistant.

I've checked the advice on line and it looks as if it's changed recently and childminders can now make more of their own decisions? I don't want to get the poor lady into trouble by checking with the local council so thought I would ask here if anyone knows whether this sounds okay?

LuckyLopez Fri 21-Nov-14 14:10:59

No it doesn't. Are they all cared for at the same times? Are you sure no others are at school? A 4 yr old at school counts as an over 5 for ratios. It does sound like she is already full though.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Fri 21-Nov-14 14:12:27

Maybe some are leaving? Ask her. Say you really like her but was wondering about her numbers. Registration certificates used to say the numbers they could mind. I'm not sure if that is still the case as I'm talking a lot of years ago.

Puddlet Fri 21-Nov-14 14:18:39

You may be right - I'm not sure what hours the others do so I need to find out more about that.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 21-Nov-14 14:20:37

It sounds like a lot, but maybe some are leaving for school or going somewhere else. You won't find out by checking here or with the council, you need to just ask her.

Lindy2 Fri 21-Nov-14 14:27:19

Childminders are allowed 3 preschool age children and upto 6 under age 8 in total. In exceptional circumstances there can be 4 preschoolers at once but this is not the norm. It is usually when an existing child has a baby sibling and they want to stay together at the same Childminders.
It may be the other children are there at different times than yours would be it that some are leaving. Alternatively perhaps she is planning on getting an assistant.
Check with her but if she is going over numbers be cautious.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 22-Nov-14 08:01:25

If she has her own toddler and your two that's Her 3 under 5 - so not sure where the 2 pre school fit in - assuming under 4 - unless they go for 2 days and yours for the other 3 so would never be over numbers

If they were 4 and at school all day then different and would count in her 5 and over so as long as not more then 6 kids which wouldn't be - your 2 - her 2 and 2 4yrs at school

Only way you would find out is to ask her

Forresitters1 Sat 22-Nov-14 08:49:09

Tbh you will get so much different advice with many of us just speculating so I really think there is no point in you asking on here until you've spoken to the CM herself so she can clarify exactly what days and hours the children are all doing, whether she is planning on having an assistant or if some of her mindee's are due to leave soon.
Once you have spoken to her and if you still feel unsure or are not happy then look for another CM.
There's nothing worse than reporting someone and then finding out you got the information wrong so please be sure to speak with her first.

hooker29 Sat 22-Nov-14 21:19:31

Ask her.Unless they are part time and are there on different days,she cannot have more than 3 under 5,including her own child, and 6 under 8,also including her own child. The school child falls in the next age group of 5-8,even though she's only 4 as she is at full time school.
CM's are only allowed 4 under 5 for continuity of care-if a child in their care has a new sibling of parents change work hours.The CM doesn't have to tell Ofsted-they do it at their own discretion-but needs to risk assess it etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now