Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Part time live-in nanny

(5 Posts)
ChocoholicNanny Thu 20-Nov-14 12:49:13

I've been applying for some nannying jobs and quite a few parents have been asking me what I charge, as opposed to setting the wage.
One particular job I've enquired about is working as a nanny part-time, living in for 2 nights (as the mother leaves for work very early in the morning (4am)) and working 2 days.
So say staying over Sunday evening, ready for work Monday morning, working Monday, staying over again, for work on Tuesday. Then the rest of the time living back at home.
So although it is technically live-in (I know nannies earn a little less for this), it isn't proxy parenting as I would finish work about 5pm each evening and not needed again until 4am-ish.

So what would you charge for this..? Hourly rate from 4am.. even though I'd still be asleep until the two children get up?
Or less than hourly rate as I'd be live-in and so would have all my meals e.c.t provided - but it's only for 2 days.

I understand this is a bit of an 'odd' job, not exactly a typical nanny job, so would welcome any thoughts on what wage should be acceptable.
In my other part-time nanny job I'm on £10 per hour gross.

FanSpamTastic Thu 20-Nov-14 13:11:18

I would think definitely an hourly rate from when you are up - will that be 6 or 7 - through to when you finish. Then I think not unreasonable to have a half rate for the time you are asleep but available - so from 4 til 6/7. Also set a rate for any after hours work like babysitting or you could find yourself working all hours!!

Cindy34 Thu 20-Nov-14 13:19:13

Hourly rate from the time you are responsible until the time you are not. If you are to be involved in anything whilst parent is at home, then additional rate for that.

If you were working till 5pm, would it be a problem if you then went out for the evening and returned 11pm, later? What control do they want over what you do during your time off whilst on a work day?

Bit concerning they have not decided on a wage to pay, as people could ask for varying amounts and until you actually do the job you don't really know how much work you would be doing. Are the children bad sleepers and likely to be awake shortly after 4am for example?

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 20-Nov-14 13:39:46

I would want to be paid over the odds for a job like this because of the hassle of half living in and half not.

I would probably ask £12/13 gross per hour 4am-5pm.

Unless I really liked them/wanted the job, in which case I'd charge normal rate from when they wake until 5pm and half for hours when they are asleep.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 20-Nov-14 14:24:23

Tricky

I would Prob charge 4am to 5pm so a 13hr day and unless you babysit with prior consent you can do what you like in evenings

So 26hrs - if usual rate us £10 gross then £260

You could get there 11pm Sunday and go to bed or earlier

Are you near home. Could you leave at 5pm and go home and return 10/11pm Monday night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now