Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

grandparents look after daughetr - receiving tax credit

(9 Posts)
startnow Thu 20-Nov-14 06:46:48

we work full time and lots of time our daughter stays with my parents. she used to stay some overnights but not now. My parents receive tax credit. if she is not staying overnight - is it an issue - maybe my grand parents not eligible for the tax credit for my daughter? Thank you.

lougle Thu 20-Nov-14 07:49:20


gamerchick Thu 20-Nov-14 07:51:40

How did they even manage to claim them in the first place?

gamerchick Thu 20-Nov-14 07:55:13

Why are you repeatedly posting this thread OP ?

ArsenicSoup Thu 20-Nov-14 07:55:56

You'll get the same answer on every thread you post OP.

What are you going to do?

magpiegin Thu 20-Nov-14 08:15:16

The other thread has good advice OP.

dashoflime Thu 20-Nov-14 08:16:28

lougle thats not quite true.
OP- check out page CCM18010 of the Tax credits Technical manual. This is the guidance used by the HMRC to make decisions.

"A person can also be responsible for the child or qualifying young person if the child or qualifying young person lives with someone else but they are paying money for the child’s or qualifying young person’s upkeep, see CBTM06080 for more information.

Only one person can receive Child Benefit for a child or qualifying young person at any one time and they do not need to be the child’s or qualifying young person’s parent."

Although OP's situation is unusual, there is not necessarily anything wrtong with it, so long as the grandpartents contribute towards the expenses of raising the child and noone else is claiming Child Tax Credit for him/her.

It is irrelevant where the child sleeps.

OP feel free not to answer if this is too personal but I'm also curious about how this arrangement came about. Most resident parents would choose to claim Child Tax Credits themselves

dashoflime Thu 20-Nov-14 08:57:50

Ooops, sorry OP.
Ignore that ^ I've linked to the rules for Child Benefit by mistake. Child Tax Credit is different.
The child does need to be "normally living" with the person who claims.

I suggest your parents withdraw their Child Tax Credit claim and that you and your partner make a claim instead.

worriednow1 Sun 07-Dec-14 11:46:12

if my child normally lives with my parents - can they contirnue received tax credits as I am working full time and most of the time my child with my parents

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now