Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

DBS update service

(9 Posts)
shimmymummy Tue 18-Nov-14 19:49:57

We are paying for our nanny to be Ofsted registered so we can use childcare vouchers. She has a 10month old DBS certificate from previous work in a nursery but never registered for the update service. Does this mean we can't do the Ofsted registration? And if so what should we/she do to move things along?

eeyore12 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:51:33

Yep afraid so. All she needs to do is apply for another Dbs check make sure she registers it when it comes through and then she can apply for ofsted reg. I am doing it now took 3 weeks for Dbs to come through and still waiting for ofsted another 8 weeks later, can take up to 12 weeks to register with ofsted once you apply to them (after dbs)

Cindy34 Tue 18-Nov-14 22:03:20

Yes, Ofsted does accept checks from other organisations if it is enhanced level and states 'child workforce' but only if the applicant is on the Update Service. If this was the situation then the applicant should call Ofsted to confirm they will accept the check, as they may not do so for home-based care providers.

Without being on the update service, they will need to get the check done again. There is guidance on getting the check done in the guide to registration on the childcare register document.

Also see ofsteddbsapplication.co.uk/Faq.aspx

shimmymummy Tue 18-Nov-14 22:56:46

So nanny applies herself, rather than I request it? Who should pay? I'm happy to pay for Ofsted reg as that only benefits us really, but would I be wrong in thinking a nanny should come into the role with a valid DBS, up-to-date first aid etc

eeyore12 Wed 19-Nov-14 07:12:17

Her Dbs is up to date, if you want/need her to have a new one when she starts your post then you need to tell her that and come to a decision between you as to who pays for it. I had one dated May this year when I started my post in sept but as not on update service as wasn't told I needed to register for that, I had to get a new one done before I could start the ofsted process. Again with first aid of that is something you want your nanny to have you either choose a nanny who has it or one who is happy to do it and you one to an agreement about who pays, personally I pay for everything apart from the actual registration fee as I feel a nanny should have a Dbs, first aid and insurance, but I know other nannies who's employers pay for everthing except the insurance.

shimmymummy Wed 19-Nov-14 09:52:34

Thanks for your help everyone. Will have a chat with our nanny, I think we'll pay for the DBS and Ofsted. Even though we advertised for a nanny with DBS, we didn't specify the update service

shimmymummy Wed 19-Nov-14 09:54:16

And we would pay for first aid renewal whilst she was in our employment, but we would expect her to come to us with a valid first aid qualification.

nannynick Wed 19-Nov-14 11:15:25

Needing to be on update service is a new requirement, Ofsted changed the rules.
If you had advertised for someone already registered then I feel they should pay.
In your situation you covering all costs of initial registration seems reasonable though do decide what ongoing costs you would cover.

tusimomodu Thu 12-Jan-17 20:09:38

please am about to register with ofsted as a childminder, I work in school at the moment and I currently have DBS on the update service, do I still need to do another one with ofsted ? ? someone help me out here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now