Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How far in advance should I start looking for a childminder?

(7 Posts)
TryingtobePrepared Mon 17-Nov-14 22:42:22

Think I'm probably worrying about this too soon but dd1 will be starting school next September and the before / after school clubs at our local school, are very short and wouldn't be enough for me to work my hours. Very limited CM's listed in our village and those in next nearest places don't seem to offer pick up / drop off to that school. Am really stressed as the only option I can find I wasn't very comfy with a private pre/ post school club. DP's work means I have to be able to do all pick up and drop offs. Don't have any family close enough to help. dd2 (currently 6 months) will be in nursery & it's only dd1 I need to sort care for. When can I start approaching CM's, is now too early?

Jinxxx Tue 18-Nov-14 07:57:00

It would be worth asking; they may have children leaving at the end of the school year to go to schools they don't pick up from or moving up to secondary school. Expect to get a "don't know" from many though. I think Easter would be soon enough usually.

LuckyLopez Tue 18-Nov-14 16:29:23

I don't confirm any new contracts until at least April when school places are confirmed.

kathryng90 Tue 18-Nov-14 16:43:39

I pick up from my local school which has one intake in September so I know now how many/if my children will be going in 2015 so I would and do take enquiries for 2015 now. I don't think it would hurt to ring round. Good luck.

Phoenixfrights Tue 18-Nov-14 21:17:32

It may be worth asking the nursery if they can do wraparound for your DD, especially if there are few childcare providers in your area.

happydazed Tue 18-Nov-14 22:43:44

no harm in asking now, I am a cm and i have had parents book with me this far in advance before.

TryingtobePrepared Wed 19-Nov-14 13:25:32

Thank you all. As the general feeling is I'm not crazily early I'll have a call round the local ones and see, thanks for the other suggestion too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now