Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

ofsted inspection - just evaluated myself against thier criteria and its not good!

(11 Posts)
ohdearohdearohdearohfuck Fri 14-Nov-14 20:56:30

the care and support I give to the children is fantasic.
Every one of them loves coming her and we play all day.

BUT.....I havent had any formal training/professional development in three years
i am behind totally with every aspect of my paperwork (except billing the parents)

I do not do 'lesson plans' i think about the children, who I have on that particular day and what they will enjoy and we play.

so i know from looking at the evaluation schedule that i am going to be inadequate in two of the areas they will be marking.

How bad is it going to be? Will i be struck off?

[have namechanged for this]

meerschweinchen Fri 14-Nov-14 21:02:40

If I were a parent of one of your mindees I'd be delighted that you were spending time playing with the children and making sure they're happy rather than doing pointless paperwork. But... Ofsted do love paperwork, so they might not be quite so delighted grin

Surely it's not too late, though? Can you sit down and try and get the basics in place? Spend a few evenings getting to grips with the paperwork. And investigate some training courses - even showing that you've booked a place on one, even if you've not actually done it yet has got to help.

I take it a visit from Ofsted is imminent?

HSMMaCM Fri 14-Nov-14 21:28:19

You're not supposed to have to write plans, risk assessments, etched down any more. Just sell yourself. Ask some parents to provide some feedback, which you can show them. Risk assess everything in your head and talk about how you do it every day. As long as there are no safeguarding issues, you should survive.

HSMMaCM Fri 14-Nov-14 21:29:19

You could guide a parent to mention something you have planned for their child maybe ???

wingcommandergallic Fri 14-Nov-14 21:31:35

Have you done first aid at least?
Doesn't your coordinator at the council support you with access to training courses?

Smartiepants79 Fri 14-Nov-14 21:38:57

,Make sure your health and safety stuff is up to date. Risk assessments, crb checks medical info etc... This is vital. If your procedures for keeping them safe are not good enough they will shut you down.
Make sure your record keeping for the EYFs is up to date for your kids.
Get yourself booked onto a course or two.
I don't think you need to worry too much about planning unless if you can show the children are making appropriate progress and meeting the milestones they should be.
Get some positive feedback from your parents.
OFSTED love paperwork and data. you need to be at least doing it adequately.

Lucylouby Fri 14-Nov-14 22:54:28

When are ofsted coming to see you? Do you have a date? If you have a couple of weeks, spend a couple of hours doing some back dated plans. Think about things you have done over the past couple of months and write it as if you were planning in advance. I'm sure it's not that you haven't planned (as you will be doing activities every day with the children), more that you haven't recorded your plans.
If you haven't done first aid and safeguarding courses in the last three years, I think that will be a down grading. Can you speak to someone who sorts courses in your area (we have a cm county council adviser) and see if there are any courses you can book on with a matter of urgency?
What paperwork are you behind on? Do all your children have a contract? Child record form, parental consent and all the other starting paperwork? I think ofsted will see that as very important.
Have you been observing the children while they play and do activities? I try to do these while the children are playing, then it's fresh in my mind and it's quite quick to do.
Do you have a support worker you can phone for help? (Maybe someone from the council early years department?) I'd get in touch with them ASAP. Don't lie to them about what you have, ask if they can come out to see you and see what they suggest you do. They will know what ofsted are looking for, where the biggest gaps are in your setting and be able to help you fill them in order of importance.

Cullercoats88 Fri 14-Nov-14 23:44:33

Most councils will have an Ofsted Ready checklist you can download. I would strongly suggest you read this.
Ofsted will want to see that all aspects of child protection are covered, this includes keeping records of attendance, medication and incident forms, and some kind of risk Assesment of property, including fire drill practices which should be carried out on a monthly basis. You may find that you won't be asked any of this, however, you may also have an inspector who is really hot on this, and it's not enough to just "know" it- you have to prove it.
When are you due an inspection? Have they contacted you to say they are on their way? Don't forget they inspect in cycles now from sept 2012-2016. So in theory if you have already been inspected in this time you shouldn't be inspected again yet.
Do you have a childminder co-ordinator?? Contact them on Monday and arrange a visit so they can guide and advise you!

Cullercoats88 Fri 14-Nov-14 23:53:15

www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/ofsted-inspection-tips/

If you have a flick through the link above you should get some good upto date info!!

ohdearohdearohdearohfuck Sat 15-Nov-14 08:53:30

just typed out a whole long response, and then lost it!

thanks for all your replies! i was panicking last night and unable to focus on a plan. you have helped me see a plan and i'm off to get on with it.

I will be back to update once i've put a dent in this paperwork.

thanks ever so much!

insancerre Sun 16-Nov-14 08:27:32

Does your local council do Amy online courses?
I'm in lances though not a cm and my staff have all done free online courses through the local council website
You can even print the certificates
Have you done a development plan? Put CPD as one of your actions
Do you know any cms that have had an inspection recently? Can you ask them to come on and give you some advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now