Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Babysitter

(11 Posts)
SaucyMare Thu 13-Nov-14 16:21:45

If you have a baby sitter booked for 5 hours, and everyhing goes wrong and you are only out for 2 hours do you pay them for all 5 or just 2 hours?

Thurlow Thu 13-Nov-14 16:26:27

I'd pay them pretty much the full wage, especially if it's not their fault that things went wrong.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 13-Nov-14 17:24:11

You should still pay them as its not their fault things went wrong and you came back early

What do you mean by wrońg?

Jinxxx Thu 13-Nov-14 17:32:12

Depends what you mean by went wrong. If your night out went wrong and you came back early, or if she called you to come home for a reason that wasn't her fault e.g due to one of your kids being sick or your boiler blowing up, then of course you should still pay her. If by "went wrong" you mean you had to return because of something stupid that she did (such as locking herself out), then no I don't think she should be paid in full.

Nannyofstedstress Thu 13-Nov-14 20:28:22

When I babysit for families and they say I will be out for X hours (e.g 5) and they come home after 2, they will usually offer me the full amount but I never take it. Although sometimes they will insist on rounding it up after I've said that. for example, say I am being paid £6 per hour they may round to £15 rather than £12 for the 2 hours.

SaucyMare Thu 13-Nov-14 21:11:47

Wrong as in half of it was cancelled, so i had nothing to do.

I thought i should still pay her, but just hoping there was a chance i was being over generous.

lovelynannytobe Fri 14-Nov-14 11:22:12

It depends ... I have a minimum of 3 hour booking fee as for any less I am not prepared to give up my evening. I charge £6.50/h.
I once had a booking 10 miles away and only took it as it was the whole night and I would have got £100. Parents had an argument on the way and came back home angry and paid me £20. That just covered my petrol and not left much in my pocket. I was disappointed tbh as I wouldn't have driven that for for £20 had I known ... I only babysit within 3 miles now.

SaucyMare Fri 14-Nov-14 22:20:46

This babysitter lives 100m away, if that mskes any difference, but i am aware she may have turned diwn other jobs.

SaucyMare Fri 14-Nov-14 22:21:03

Ant that is meters nit miles smile

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 14-Nov-14 22:51:11

Yes she Prob turned down other jobs. She was expecting 5hrs pay and that what she should have got regardless that your plans fell through iyswim smile

Yerazig Sat 15-Nov-14 05:37:39

As a nanny I have a 3hr minimum policy for babysitting so it's not a waste of time. And yes if I was booked for a certain amount of hours I would expect the full pay. Unless to the extreme a child was ill or someone was ill etc that's why the parent had to come back earlier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now