Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Finding an au pair for the first time

(8 Posts)
WandOfElderNeverProsper Wed 12-Nov-14 21:44:10

Hi all,

For those of you that host an au pair in your family, what would you recommend as the best place to find a match? Do most people find through family or local connections, or do people usually use agencies?

I'm thinking that an Au Pair might well be the way to go for me and my daughter, and I think I could offer good terms and a nice home smile

Any advice welcome!

Messygirl Wed 12-Nov-14 22:18:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fluffymouse Wed 12-Nov-14 23:42:12

We used au pair world too. Its a lot cheaper than using an agency but means you have to do the vetting and leg work yourself. I preferred that though as I knew that it had been done properly rather than trusting someone else.

blueshoes Wed 12-Nov-14 23:44:12

Agree with previous posts. Aupair World.

HRHQueenMe Sun 16-Nov-14 22:36:14

Au pair world. There is lots of good advice on previous au pair posts. Choose wisely, vet well , and set expectations. Good luck

NumptyNu Mon 17-Nov-14 21:42:33

How do you go about vetting? Where do you start? It sounds complicated!

HRHQueenMe Mon 17-Nov-14 22:15:21

Vetting; askthe au pair to arrange a police check/crb check in their home country. They will usually know how to do this, if not google is your friend, but i would worry if the ap candidate didnt have the understanding how to google and find out about this on their own.
2) google them. Face book them, befriend them on every social metworking site. This will give you a good idea of who they are. Tell them its so they can get to know you and the family but its really so you can check them out. Defriend any unsuccessful candidates.
3) ask for references in writing.
4) ask current au pair to interview as well, this is really useful for everyone as the ap can give insight and different questions can be asked. I have found this a great help. My ap are really protective of my children and would not hand them over to a new ap they did not like.
5) your gut feeling is usually right.

Messygirl Mon 17-Nov-14 22:37:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now