Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Why is Ofsted so stressful?!?!?!

(22 Posts)
Nannyofstedstress Wed 12-Nov-14 11:17:32

Arrrrrrrrghghghgh sorry I just needed to vent sad

It feels like I have been applying forever. I am only registering as a nanny so shouldn't be too much hassle in comparison to a child minder. My employers really need to use their childcare vouchers and we have been applying for so long. I keep calling them every 2 weeks or so, just to chase them up and I spend about 20 mins on hold. It's really frustrating. I literally don't know what more I could possibly do. Don't really know what I am asking here, I just sort of needed to let my stress out and not many people IRL would understand because they aren't nannies!

eeyore12 Wed 12-Nov-14 11:29:10

Having the same stress here. Have been told it takes up to twelve weeks to register with them and that of course is after you have waited for your Dbs to come through as can't apply till you have that. Have been told mine is waiting for my local council to do its social services check which they have already had for 7 weeks and ofsted are chasing that weekly now and then I am done. My employers really need to be able to use the vouchers this month too, but not only do we have to wait for ofsted but then the voucher companies to get it all ready to go.

Nannyofstedstress Wed 12-Nov-14 11:36:02

wow... eeyore, are you sure you aren't me?! I am in exactly the same position. Just waiting for the social check and they are now chasing that up weekly. I feel like personally going down to my local council and hurrying them along, but of course, I won't! Instead I will just rant here!

eeyore12 Wed 12-Nov-14 11:51:16

We could be this same person. Doesn't help when your boss really wants it through as do you but nothing anyone can do about it.

Testarossa1 Wed 12-Nov-14 15:08:38

I'm a nanny and had exactly the same issues when I registered last year. It took exactly 12 weeks from application to certificate arriving! I'm happy to say renewal (which I've just done) is a whole lot easier, you receive an invoice and can pay online. that's it, job done!

katymason01 Wed 12-Nov-14 15:27:28

Mine came bk really quickly and im impatient I first applied on Voluntary register in July and DBS was back with 2 weeks, they then wrote and fee and to send copies of certificates/documents to them and it came back in about 6/7 weeks I think. I tracked mine online (you can see the progress)

hope yours come back soon.

eeyore12 Wed 12-Nov-14 17:22:53

I have done all that and it has been 5 weeks since I paid them so hopefully my local council will do my last check soon and it will be back before the end of this month.

kalidasa Thu 13-Nov-14 09:33:03

It's a total nightmare isn't it?! I couldn't believe how complicated it was and how incredibly unclear and badly designed the process was at every stage. We have finally reached the end of the process with our nanny but it has taken months, which given that it is relatively expensive too I think is a real disgrace, and a disincentive to engage with a process which they ought to be encouraging. We have been living beyond our means for about six months because our childcare vouchers have still been deducted from our salary but we haven't been able to use them to pay her. (Obviously we've got a backlog to clear now which will help.)

nannynick Thu 13-Nov-14 09:53:33

When I worked for them (2003) it took ages to register childminders - didn't register nannies back then. I see that nothing has changed, it's still third parties that are causing the delay - such as Social Services. I suspect that due to funding cuts by Government, local authorities don't have the staff to deal with the requests. It's a knock on effect of the Government cuts, things are so interconnected that a cut in one departments budget can have a huge knock on effect to other things.

Just my view of course but this problem has existed for over 10 years and it has not got better from what you are saying. There are still delays in the registration process, yet Government is doing what? Do consider raising this with your MP - are they happy with the time things take and the current funding that your local authority gets?

constantlystartingadiet Thu 13-Nov-14 15:32:47

I applied to be on the voluntary part of the register as a nanny, filled in the online application form on 16th Oct after my DBS came back and received my Ofsted registration certificate in the post today.

eeyore12 Thu 13-Nov-14 15:57:51

Constantly your local council must be more on the ball than mine! I applied to ofsted the second week of September and still waiting.

constantlystartingadiet Thu 13-Nov-14 16:06:15

I am in Wiltshire, I thought it would take forever, hope yours comes through soon.

Nannyofstedstress Thu 13-Nov-14 20:35:18

I completely agree Nannynick... I kind of don't blame Ofsted because they were pretty on the ball in sending me things. I filled in the online application and they sent out the payment forms and other relevant stuff within a few days, it is the social check that is taking forever. But one thing I will say, is that Ofsted need to sort their phonelines out. I have probably called them about 5 times in total, due to various problems, and each time I have been on hold for at LEAST 20 mins, usually a lot longer. This is such a waste of money for me, but I have no choice but to call them. I don't know whether they are actually understaffed or whether this is a money making scheme...either way it needs changing.

Nannyofstedstress Thu 13-Nov-14 20:35:24

I completely agree Nannynick... I kind of don't blame Ofsted because they were pretty on the ball in sending me things. I filled in the online application and they sent out the payment forms and other relevant stuff within a few days, it is the social check that is taking forever. But one thing I will say, is that Ofsted need to sort their phonelines out. I have probably called them about 5 times in total, due to various problems, and each time I have been on hold for at LEAST 20 mins, usually a lot longer. This is such a waste of money for me, but I have no choice but to call them. I don't know whether they are actually understaffed or whether this is a money making scheme...either way it needs changing.

nannynick Thu 13-Nov-14 20:49:21

You can email them. Include your name, postcode and reference number (should be on any letters you have from them) on the email. Don't know how long it will take them to reply to an email though.

I am wondering why they are asking for payment before the checks have been done, is that usual these days? Can those who have gone through the process this year confirm at what point registration fee was requested. Amount should be £103 - DBS check fees are separate. Did anyone get charged any different figure?

Nannyofstedstress Thu 13-Nov-14 22:34:30

Yes I know about emailing them, I will probably email them next week to chase up again, rather than phoning.

Yes I can confirm that I have already paid for my Ofsted registration, I think it arrived the same day as the letter asking me to send through proof of something...I think it was first aid. So that was all sorted on the same day. I think it was £103, yes.

eeyore12 Fri 14-Nov-14 07:18:33

Yep you apply on line then once that form has been approved you get your ey number, they then send you a letter asking for a copy of your first aid certificate and another letter the same day or the next asking for the fee mine was dated the 29/9 but the due date on it was the 26/9!! Then once you pay that they do the rest of the checks etc which they don't actually mentioned anywhere. You think once they have seen your first aid and you have paid because you already have the Dbs that that is it, but no more needs to be done and they won't continue the application until the fee of £103 is paid.

Must say though I have never been on the phone to them for more than 10 mins at a time usually less.

Last time I applied to them in 2010 the whole thing including the crb as that was part of it then was done and through in 6 weeks.

nannynick Fri 14-Nov-14 09:43:58

Thanks. System has changed quite a bit over the years. I recall from when I worked there that fees were obtained right at the end of the process. I suppose it makes sense to get the fees sooner as it shows someone really wanting to go through the process and not abandon it part-way through.

If social services is the bottleneck, then maybe Ofsted should direct part of the fee to funding local authorities social services. Doubt they would do that but seems unfair that Ofsted keep all the money when third parties are doing some of the work.

eeyore12 Mon 24-Nov-14 11:24:42

Yay my certificate arrived today 10 weeks after applying. In the same post came stuff from my local authority saying welcome as an ofsted registered nanny!

secretcbeebsfan Mon 01-Dec-14 12:46:38

Only now seeing your update!! (I am the op, just changed username now!) I still haven't had mine back sad called them again today... apparently still waiting for the social services check. I am still very very annoyed.

eeyore12 Mon 01-Dec-14 14:21:21

Oh no hope it comes back soon. You do get a feedback form with your certificate which I sent back saying they need to chase local as before 6 weeks.

Jjwc Tue 30-Dec-14 21:50:15

It only took six weeks from start (applying for new DBS) to recieving my certificate!!!! Although even that felt like forever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now