Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice - finding maternity nurse short notice

(13 Posts)
Beaker12 Wed 12-Nov-14 06:59:24

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice.

My second DS is due mid December and my husband is going away for 2 1/2 weeks from early January when the baby is 2 weeks. My husband was away a lot with my first DS and I really didn't cope very well ( I don't have any family support etc) and ended up with PND, which I still suffer from.

I really would like to try and avoid repeating what happened with my first DS as it wasn't a happy experience for either of us, so have decided I will try and find a maternity nurse for this period.

I know however this is pretty short notice to find someone and everyone I have been recommended is already booked up. My question is other than contacting the agencies ( are any particularly recommended?)is it worth me posting an ad somewhere online and, if so, could anyone give me any advice for where would be best? If so is there anything particularly helpful to put in the ad ( other than the obvious location, pay, age of child and dates etc)?

Sorry if this has already been answered - I tried a search and couldn't find anything. I'm now getting a bit anxious that I won't be able to find anyone who fits with my family!

mrswishywashy Wed 12-Nov-14 07:26:04

If you want to use and agency I'd recommend maternity solutions or maternally yours.

There are plenty of maternity nurses about so am sure you'll find someone.

You can also advertise on childcare.co.uk, there are many maternity nurses listed on there so you can search easily and also post an ad.

As a maternity nurse what I look for is:
What you included plus
Whether baby is bf or bottle fed
If help is needed with older child eg taking to nursery
Whether you want 24 hour care or nights only and how many days per week
How many years experience you want MN to have.
Any specific training you want MN to have.

When looking for a maternity nurse make sure they have updated dbs check, public liability insurance, up to date first aid. I'd look for someone with at least five years MN experience and I'd want them to have training either as NNEB, nest or MNT maternity nurse cert or midwifery.

mrswishywashy Wed 12-Nov-14 07:27:41

Congratulations as well. And I'm sure you'll find someone to fit your family so don't feel pressured to get a MN you don't feel comfortable with.

Beaker12 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:17:00

Many thanks mrs wishywashy

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 12-Nov-14 09:51:07

Ditto Mrs ww

Tho you may find that as its short notice you may find it hard

Most are booked up for a few months but doesn't mean all are

Would you have an experienced night nanny instead?

I finish my current night job in dec - tho they want me to stay on - but already have another booking starting in jan with a new born

Area depends as well. London will have lots - outer counties some and middle of nowhere rare wink

What area are you?

Def make sure whoever you use has a current dbs - you can check online - first aid and pli and ring references

GritStrength Wed 12-Nov-14 09:55:08

We arranged a maternity nurse on 3 days notice. So it is perfectly doable. We used Eden.

Beaker12 Wed 12-Nov-14 10:02:56

Thanks you

I am south west London ( Putney).

I have ummed and ahhed re a night nanny versus someone full time. I think whilst it might work during the week (particularly if they could start early enough so I could do my eldest son's bath and bed )at the weekend I would probably need someone full time. Maybe something to consider though.

I'm finding it quite difficult to judge how much support I will need - as mentioned my main worry is that my PND comes back but I just can't know if tht will happen or how severe. My thinking has therefore been to look for the maximum help just in case!

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 12-Nov-14 10:11:42

Tbh I would worry why a good mn wasn't in work at short notice - unless a full in for 2/3 weeks till next job

As you are in London sure you will find someone / but def start ringing agencies now smile

TexanKenDoll Wed 12-Nov-14 10:15:37

We found Eden excellent and are now very good friends with our maternity nurse! Good luck with the search.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Wed 12-Nov-14 10:29:33

You may find someone who has a gap between bookings or equally someone who doesn't do back to back bookings so has a gap.

As a maternity night nanny I don't do back to back bookings it's not my main job and I like a rest in between but also means I can be more flexible for families (rates reflect this though).

At a push you could go with a doula in the day and a night nanny for overnight.

From your post you sound like you want someone everyday and 24/7 May be tricky to find. Another solution maybe a weekend maternity nurse so fri eve til Sun eve and then some daytime help with a night nanny during the week.

Congratulations and good luck number 2 for me will be here by the end of this month.

Lifebythesea2323 Wed 12-Nov-14 14:35:39

If you are in Hertfordshire a friend used Nanny Owl a retired midwife she was very good. Google her website.

mrswishywashy Wed 12-Nov-14 15:56:00

Since you're London based I'd think you'd have a good selection of maternity nurses available. If you only want someone while your husband is away you might find someone willing to work straight through the 2.5 weeks.

I'd say there is a surplus of maternity nurses in the London area although the top ones are booked early but there are many good ones. I'm now booked right through until the end of May however this past couple of years I've been doing longer breaks between bookings and filling in with emergency work so leaving it this late will still mean you have a good selection. But I'd start looking now before crazy season starts.

Beaker12 Wed 12-Nov-14 17:45:16

Thanks very much for all your help everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now