Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Air freshener

(12 Posts)
carr98 Tue 11-Nov-14 13:40:40

Hi there just a quick one what air freshener do you use where do you have it and have you had any complaints?
I feel i need one as I can have several dirty nappies throughout the day and i dont want my house to smell of dirty nappies but a parent has complained that it is toxic and i shouldnt have one near children at all as it can get on their skin hair and clothes she was very forceful insinuating that i am harming all the children i dont have one in the playroom just by the front door which is where shoes bags and the downstairs toilet is it is well ventilated as the front door is open and closed throughout the day with us going in and out and children arriving and leaving but the parent seems to think their child goes home smelling very strongly of it and that they can smell it from outside my house before they even come in ! I have one that squerts out a puff every 30 mins or so. Not quiet sure what to do ?

hooker29 Tue 11-Nov-14 14:05:08

I never use air fresheners-I open the windows,although I have been known to stand by the front door and waft it open and closed several times to try and get rid of nasty niffs.
Personally,i don't like the smell of most of them. My mum has one that 'puffs' every 30 minutes and it irritates my nose and throat so much that she switches it off when i visit. I used to be able to smell it on my clothes as well.
Could you not just squirt it when you really need to, rather than every 30 minutes?

Artandco Tue 11-Nov-14 14:11:26

I wouldn't want one either tbh.

We used reusable nappies and never had a smell in house

I would get a lockable lidded bin just for nappies. And moe changing area to inside bathroom if possible, if not near a window.

Open up all the windows in house 10 mins at a time in winter so it gets fresh air flow through. I would open early before everyone arrives, try again when some are napping, and again later in day. The rest of the time try and keep at least the odd small window open, ideally in bathrooms and near changing area

LuckyLopez Tue 11-Nov-14 14:25:53

I also just open the window.

As an aside, I have a mindee in reusable nappies and they stink! I hate having to carry the poo around all day until they go home. I think people who use then either get used to it or are in denial.

IAmACircle Tue 11-Nov-14 14:31:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Artandco Tue 11-Nov-14 14:35:57

Lucky - do you have proper storage for the reusable nappies? Out we would dispose of liner with poo/ top layer wee in toilet and then wrap nappy in a small zippable wet bag. That bag then went in larger wet bag also zipperble. So each one was sealed individually and then double sealed together. There should be no way of smell, and when you add additional nappies into large wet bag the dirty ones already there are sealed individually so no re smelling

At home in a mesh bag, which was inside an xl wet bag. When wash whole mesh bag containing nappies pulled out and into washing machine. The xl wet bag also in machine. Start again with spare wet bag and mesh whilst first washing.

LuckyLopez Tue 11-Nov-14 14:40:34

I chuck the liner down the loo as you say but quite often there is poo on the cloth too. I have a big wet bag to put them in at home and a small wet bag to carry around but only one, so nappies have to be transferred into the large one when we get back. It hangs in my utility room at home.

CarbeDiem Tue 11-Nov-14 14:52:48

I don't like using air fresheners so have used one of the room and linen sprays from Avon - it's really just water with some essential oil (so you could make your own) - it's not as strong as a chemical freshener but with the window open, a quick spritz around will leave the room a bit less stinky.

Artandco Wed 12-Nov-14 13:15:24

Lucky - I would ask the parents to get you smaller ones so you can store individually also

Bambooty ones are good, and reasonable price

HSMMaCM Wed 12-Nov-14 16:29:50

The ones that squirt every 30 mins can make quite a strong smell. After changing a dirty nappy, I put the child in the playroom, the nappy outside and then quickly squirt the toilet with an odour neutraliser. Less chance of the child inhaling it and less nasty smells.

LuckyLopez Wed 12-Nov-14 16:39:27

I'll try and ask but tbh the child is almost potty trained so they might not want to invest more money in it

Artandco Wed 12-Nov-14 16:45:24

The plain wet bags are great after still tbh. Our medium ones have now become swimming bags, and the small ones are travel wash bags. We did just buy plain white ones though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now