Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New Years Eve Babysitting

(13 Posts)
HappierThanEverBefore Tue 11-Nov-14 08:06:20

I've been contacted and asked to babysit New Year's Eve for a family i regularly sit for.

They are unsure of the hours at the moment but think it's most likely to be over night.

What would be a reasonable amount to charge? Both children sleep through

PixieofCatan Tue 11-Nov-14 08:08:27

Where in the country are you? & what are your local agency saying that they're expecting their nannies to charge? I'd charge slightly more than local agencies.

HappierThanEverBefore Tue 11-Nov-14 08:12:43

I'm in Bucks - about 25-30miles from London

I contacted a couple of agencies and none have got back to me yet - is it too early to plan for NYE

rollonthesummer Tue 11-Nov-14 08:14:04

£100?

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 11-Nov-14 10:47:13

A typical night I would charge £80 - from 7pm to 7am

So nye is generally double plus depends if you leave at 7am or more like 9/10 so they get a lie in and you do breakie etc

So at least £160 more if past 7am

And no not too early to book nye

I have been asked to bs and said no

dontgetsickpay Tue 11-Nov-14 11:47:32

I would say atleast £150

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Tue 11-Nov-14 12:55:54

I charge triple rates for nye I am not fussed if I work or not. One lovely family few yrs back booked me 7-11pm because they said I could get home in time to see in New yr with husband they only wanted a sitter as had friends over so went to pub, happily paid triple rates and the guys even De iced my car when they got back. (They did live 45-50mins away via 2 motorways).

PixieofCatan Tue 11-Nov-14 14:03:23

Same as Blondes that my evening rates would be almost £100 for a usual overnighter so I would expect double my usual rates to do NYE.

I was asked three weeks ago about my plans, I categorically don't work NYE so said no. I only ever have a quiet night in with DP but I'd rather do that at home than elsewhere.

cansu Tue 11-Nov-14 18:44:59

I am pretty shocked that people double their rates for NYE. You either wish to work because you don't care about the evening or you don't. It seems absolutely insane to charge double. I am sure this is not the case in most other jobs.

Norfolkandchance1234 Tue 11-Nov-14 18:57:00

Sitters are in high demand on NYE so yes charging double or triple is completely normal. I'd go with Blondes rates.

PixieofCatan Tue 11-Nov-14 18:57:22

cansu various services charge more for nights where there is more demand, it's common sense to charge more and earn more when there is a demand and people are willing to pay.

bbcessex Tue 11-Nov-14 18:59:37

I think it's like any other premium time cansu - restaurants charge much more for lunch or dinner on Christmas Day / a taxi will cost you extra for New Years Eve / Christmas Day etc.

I think it's okay to require extra for working on NYE / Christmas Eve. I just would advise against being super-mercenary with families you have a good working relationship with - it may not do you any favours in the long run.

rollonthesummer Tue 11-Nov-14 21:06:34

Taxi companies and nightclubs certainly charge more just because it's nye!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now