Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair babysitting New Year's Eve

(37 Posts)
BelleCurve Mon 10-Nov-14 09:54:44

My au pair has asked me for a reference for babysitting New Year's Eve for another local mum.

As it happens I am going out NYE, and would happily pay her extra to babysit for me. I usually pay £30 per evening if she does extra babysitting (rarely) and would pay £50/60 for NYE as she would mostly be asleep anyway!

She is now asking me for £20 per hour - is this reasonable?

mrsdavidbowie Mon 10-Nov-14 09:56:38

Depends how long. Dd got paid £100 last NYE 730 till 2

Floralnomad Mon 10-Nov-14 09:57:13

If that's what the other family are willing to pay then I suppose that is what she will want from you . I would think £10 per hour on a normal night so double time on NYE is reasonable.

Heels99 Mon 10-Nov-14 09:59:18

Well if you don't think it's reasonable then leave it and she can babysit for the other family. Babysitters are gold dust on nye and expect to get gold dust for doing it.

PixieofCatan Mon 10-Nov-14 10:00:48

If that's what the other family are giving her then I don't blame her for asking! I would charge slightly more than what babysitting and nanny agencies would, which I think was £15ph at my local one last NY.

Karoleann Mon 10-Nov-14 10:05:57

I don't think that is reasonable at all. I'm assuming she is a regular live in au pair.

Babysitting is usually included in the au pair "contract", the other family don't pay her living costs. Our au pair does babysitting for other people, but only if we don't need her on that particular evening.

I would just say that you need her on that evening to babysit and pay her the £50/60 you were proposing originally.

mrswishywashy Mon 10-Nov-14 10:33:54

I'd say £20 / hour is reasonable for nye and certainly what ive got in the past. It's a big committment to give up your own nyes so should be paid for. I also set a minimum five hours as well. Tricky if this isn't covered in the contract though.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 10-Nov-14 10:39:07

Im a nanny i get £150 for nye 7pm-2am from the same family every year.

EldonAve Mon 10-Nov-14 11:24:47

We use a babysitting agency - they only want 14 GBP per hour for NYE so I think 20 is pushing it

BelleCurve Mon 10-Nov-14 11:24:50

Babysitting for 2 nights per week is included in the contract. TBH I rarely need 2 nights, and pay more if I ask her to do any more or weekend babysitting.

NYE isn't specifically covered in the contract, but it could be considered part of her regular duties. I feel that maybe she should have asked me first, before advertising for other work?

Kewcumber Mon 10-Nov-14 11:27:09

but it could be considered part of her regular duties

I doubt it unless there is a written agreement for her to work bank holidays?

If you think she's too expensive then use someone else.

BelleCurve Mon 10-Nov-14 11:32:33

NYE isn't a bank holiday. She has 28 days leave, including bank holidays and she has already had significantly more days than that (which is fine with me)

Kewcumber Mon 10-Nov-14 11:33:32

In our area Sitters charges £14 per hour for NYE minimum 4 hours plus a booking fee of £4. So it really depends on where you live and how long you want her to babysit for.

Or use Sitters...

Kewcumber Mon 10-Nov-14 11:35:02

Well yes if you're intending to be home before midnight it isn't a bank holiday confused

Only1scoop Mon 10-Nov-14 11:37:51

But she will be working 1st jan surely that's a bank hol....

Unless you are home by 12

BelleCurve Mon 10-Nov-14 11:42:17

She is not specifically contractually entitled to bank holidays off, although she usually does get these days off.

I don't understand the point you are making?

Only1scoop Mon 10-Nov-14 11:51:51

She's probably been offered around that amount by the other family....

Up to you....20 ph is double time I guess.

Kewcumber Mon 10-Nov-14 13:15:43

The point I was making is exactly the one you answered IF she is entitled to bank holidays (which to be fair is pretty standard) the you can't ask her to work it.

If as you say she isn't entitled to bank holidays then you can of course try to enforce your contract.

Personally I'd find out from other family how much they really are going to pay her and offer to match it. It doesn't seem fair to me to reduce the earnings of someone who is presumably on a reasonably low income.

If £20 is really the market rate around your way I'd pay it, if not then tell her you'll pay her £15. Ask around its impossible to tell without knowing where you are and easy it is to get babysitters for NYE

blondiewoowoo1 Mon 10-Nov-14 13:47:01

I don't think its fair to "tell her" she is working new years eve - it's not a normal night and everyone knows that.
If she has been offered £20ph to work and you want her to work, then I'm afraid you may need to either pay it or find someone else although I doubt you will find someone willing to work for £50/£60 but that does depend on how long you are out for.

Heels99 Mon 10-Nov-14 14:49:20

New Year's Eve isn't a bank holiday but no sensible person would regard it as a 'normal night' for babysitting purposes. I thought au pairs lived as apart of the family rather than being contracted employees? How come she has a contract, is that the norm?

Yerazig Mon 10-Nov-14 14:53:05

So you hadn't actually asked her in advance if she was free/wanted to babysit on nye. And as above let's be honest it's not really a standard night that most families would make their nanny/au pair babysit.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 10-Nov-14 16:11:16

£20 Ph is what I have quoted to charge for nye. Always get asked tho never do it but find Nannies who will do it if a family ask me

Think an au pair charging that is a lot - not saying she should be paid pennies but a qualified nanny can and will charge that

If you hadn't booked her for nye then unfair for you to ask her to bs now

Doubt you will find anyone for £60 to bs on nye

BelleCurve Mon 10-Nov-14 17:13:45

It seems there was a misunderstanding, we will work it out. I'm not "telling" her she is working - and I certainly wouldn't expect her to work NYE without extra pay.

She does have a "terms and conditions" letter, not exactly a contract - but mumsnet best practice!

I realise NYE isn't a normal night, but I suppose I would have liked the consideration to ask if I wanted her to babysit (with extra pay!) before advertising on facebook - and contacting me for a reference. Also, should I have asked her this far in advance? - its only November, not the week before!

BelleCurve Mon 10-Nov-14 17:16:05

I think the £60 is misleading - I wouldn't expect an "external" babysitter to do it for £60, but as she she will just be chilling out/asleep once DS is asleep it is a bit different. Plus she wouldn't have any transport costs etc.

It would be 4 hours, so £15ph

mrswishywashy Mon 10-Nov-14 17:24:45

When I nannied and bbs on nyes I would wait up until parents came home at 2/3am and then go out. I still got to party a bit but earnt money as well. I charged extra especially if it wasn't a standard work day. In all my live in contracts I only bbsat on scheduled work days this way I was free to plan my own thing of course family could ask but it wasn't a sure thing I'd say yes.

If someone else has already asked her when we're you thinking about asking her. What if she had wanted to go out with friends?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now