Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

London Wage for nanny - how much?!

(12 Posts)
Emmiedarling Sun 09-Nov-14 13:34:15

How much do you pay/expect to be paid per hour for a nanny in London?

I hate this whole net/gross thing. But from what I have worked out - using a calculator someone very kindly gave me the link to, I think I can afford £9.50 an hour. (as in this is actually what their take home will be) Is this reasonable or much less than the going rate?

EldonAve Sun 09-Nov-14 13:41:31

Going rate seems to be around 10-12 GBP per hr net

FlyntCoal Sun 09-Nov-14 14:15:44

Don't do net. If you can afford £9.50 for nanny one to take home, you're paying x gross. nanny two takes home £9.50, but they have student loans so you're paying more gross.

Work out what you can afford to pay gross. Don't think in net terms, it's only nannying that does this and it's very unprofessional. Work out a yearly pay like any other job on the planet.

I've been a nanny for 8 years now, if I work it out i get paid less than £9.50 an hour but I'm on a yearly gross wage.

nannynick Sun 09-Nov-14 14:41:09

Have a look at job listings to see what others are offering. NannyJob: JobSearch London Use advanced search to narrow it down a bit.

Calculate what Gross salary you are able to offer and then offer that. If it is a fulltime job, 50+ hours per week, then maybe give an indication of Net (based on 1000L taxcode) but really it's down to the applicant to work out what their take home would be given their own personal tax situation. Any contract you agree needs to be in Gross pay.

NannyTax Wages Survey 2013 may also help to give an indication of salaries in the area. They are currently running the 2014 survey, results will come out in February.

Treetops0909 Sun 09-Nov-14 14:45:37

Going rate for London is definitely £10-£12 net. You may be able to pay less to a newly qualified or someone with less experience.

I am a nanny in London recently moved jobs so have experience and know all nanny friends on above salary unless live in.

Possibly advertise £9.50 net but at interview check if they have a student loan and if they do explain the gross salary on offer and that their net will be lower due to their loan. Always put gross in contract. I did this and they worked out the gross and my net was lower than what it would have been if I hadn't had the student loan. I wouldn't ever as a nanny expect the employer to cover that extra!!

Mranchovy is a good online calculator.

Greenfizzywater Sun 09-Nov-14 19:15:00

I'd be thrilled if a nanny talked in gross! I'm in N London and it is firmly £10 phn round here informally though contract says gross. I pay my current nanny nearly £11 per hour gross, one before that was over £12 as she had another job so split tax code. I wish the nanny industry would get out of talking net.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 09-Nov-14 23:35:58

Why advertise in nett? Start off as you mean to go on and in ad state hours and gross wage and nanny will work out what it is

Victoria2002 Mon 10-Nov-14 09:07:27

It's not just student loans and other jobs, I have a buy to let property and agreed salary in net. My boss would be paying the tax on my property income if I hadn't gone out of my way to tick an extra box on my tax return.
Back to the original question, just advertise what you can afford and see who applies, I'm sure you will find lots of options. Can you offer extra "perks" eg more than average annual holiday or a guaranteed weeknight babysit each week or use of your car in the evenings?

Karoleann Mon 10-Nov-14 10:07:47

If its a full time job, you should be okay. If its part-time or after school, I suspect you'll find it more difficult.

I would just put the gross on the advert.

minipie Mon 10-Nov-14 11:27:05

I pay my (excellent and very experienced) nanny �9.50 net p/h (contract is gross). She asked for �9 net when she started last year, we've just increased it to �9.50, planning another increase next year.

But I think we got very lucky as I think �10 net is standard. �12 net is for nanny shares AFAIK.

I think pay expected partly depends on how attractive a job it is. For example is it full time, what hours, how many DC, what ages, what will you offer by way of kitty/paid for activities/car use, do you have any special requirements that might make the job more difficult, is it a nice area with lots of activities/nannies to hang out with, etc.

When working out what you can pay, do bear in mind the additional costs of having a nanny ie kitty, activities, extra heating, providing lunch usually. In a couple of years' time nanny employers will need to pay pension contributions too (eek).

For the ad, I might put something like: "We are willing to pay �12/h gross (which would equal around �9.50/h net assuming you have a standard 1000L tax code)."

1000L tax code is the standard one and means no other job, no student loan, no rebates re pension or charity payments, etc.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 10-Nov-14 12:32:49

For the ad, I might put something like: "We are willing to pay �12/h gross (which would equal around �9.50/h net assuming you have a standard 1000L tax code)."

^^ Do this - otherwise you'll get lots of applicants who ignore your advertised gross salary and simply tell you what they want. It's bizarre.

It's quite possible to hire a nanny in London for �9.50 per hour net. It sometimes depends on how far they have to travel and how central you are. Paying for a Zone 1 travel card adds a lot onto a weekly travel card. If they are local enough to bus it to your house, you might find them more willing.

kalidasa Thu 13-Nov-14 09:45:31

Our nanny is on around £9/hr net in London (zone 2). She was one of the least experienced/qualified of those we interviewed, and we were prepared to pay £10/hr net depending on experience and qualifications. She is fantastic though and we will be raising her salary next year - she is more qualified now in any case as we have finally finished the OFSTED registering process and she had to do some basic training for that. She had only been paid cash-in-hand before (though had v. honestly been declaring it and paying tax herself) and is not a native speaker so we had to explain all the ins and outs of a payroll, NI etc. I think in terms of take-home pay per week she is getting from us about what she was on before, but she'd never had paid holidays before! So be prepared that you might have to explain all this stuff to your chosen nanny - some of those we interviewed were very clued up about it but others not really at all. I was surprised to find that there was not a huge correlation at interview between how experienced/qualified candidates were and how impressive they seemed. We saw quite a few who were at the point of transitioning from what was officially an au pair/mother's help job (but was actually often an underpaid nanny role) - they had done a few years in those sorts of positions and were looking for the first proper 'nanny' role, often because they no longer wanted to live in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now