Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how/when to find a childminder

(4 Posts)
MrsLilSnoog Sun 09-Nov-14 13:03:16

hi mumsnet,

Our first baby is due in a few weeks. I'm tentatively planning to go back to work (possibly part-time) in July or August next year. We think a childminder would suit us best, and a friend told me it's not too soon to start looking for one. I'm not really sure how to get started ... I've found listings through my local council (north Herts) but there are LOADS and no way to tell if they have openings, so it's a bit daunting.

Any advice on how and when to start my search would be much appreciated, as would any recommendations for great childminders in the Hitchin or Stevenage area!

LuckyLopez Sun 09-Nov-14 13:12:22

If you can stretch it to September start you will get much more choice. And I would start enquiries in the new year. I and many others are away of the children I will lose to start school so am happy to take a deposit to hold a space for then.

LuckyLopez Sun 09-Nov-14 13:12:57

*aware

HSMMaCM Sun 09-Nov-14 14:29:24

I agree with Lucky. Most spaces come up when children leave for school. A couple of my school leavers this year left early August, to spend time with family before school, so you might be lucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now