Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny for a two year old - a bit complicated. kind of.

(9 Posts)
Emmiedarling Fri 07-Nov-14 21:53:10

I am single parent to a 2 year old little boy. He is currently at nursery Mon, Wed & Friday. He has a nanny all day on a Thursday. I work those four days about an hour and 15 minutes away across London.

Unfortunately, he has recently been diagnosed with an auto inflammatory condition which means that long nursery days aren't really ideal for him (at the moment i drop him in at 7.30am and pick him up at 6pm).

I have been trying to work out other options.

I was thinking of getting a nanny for 5 full days 8am-6pm - Is this a standard working day for a nanny?

I currently pay my Thursday nanny £10 an hour. We go through nanny paye but i do not have to pay tax or NI as we are under the threshold and she has no other job. I am trying to figure out how much This would actually equate to if i did have to take tax into account.

Then perhaps my LO could do some morning/afternoon sessions at nursery 2/3 times a week. What do the nanny's do whilst they are there?!

Sorry for seemingly obvious, silly questions, my head feels all foggy from his diagnosis and I just don't really know how to figure out getting more help without making myself bankrupt!!!

Thanks in advance.

PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 07-Nov-14 23:37:28

Why not get a nanny for the 4 days you work and if you want to use nursery wait until LO turns 3 and use your free 15 hours. Nanny can batch cook, do nursery duties (child's clothes, tidying etc) or if it's full dAts a nanny/housekeeper might be more suitable.

NannyNim Sat 08-Nov-14 10:57:17

8am to 6pm is most definitely a normal working day for a nanny. You say you pick him up from nursery at 6pm. I don't know where this nursery is but if it's not close to home you would need to make sure you would definitely be home by 6 to take over from the nanny. Otherwise you could ask her to work until 6:30 or 7 and it still wouldn't be unreasonable.

I still work when my LO is at nursery. I batch cook, do his laundry, clean and tidy his bedroom and playroom, and any other jobs his parents ask me to do such as planning his birthday party etc.

Karoleann Sat 08-Nov-14 14:42:02

You can find out how much the tax/NI will be by putting it into this calculator

[http://www.mranchovy.com/calc/]]

I would also wait until the 15hrs free kicks in - which is the school term after your child turns 3. Pre-school hours are usually quite short, so your nanny would only have a couple of hours free, which can easily be filled with other childcare related activities.

Karoleann Sat 08-Nov-14 14:42:52

Sorry link here

www.mranchovy.com/calc/

Emmiedarling Sun 09-Nov-14 13:29:14

Many thanks for your replies, I will look into it a bit further.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 10-Nov-14 12:27:19

Sorry to hear your son is ill, that must be quite upsetting. A lot depends on whether his condition is permanent or hopefully temporary with the right treatment.

I would look into a nanny-share or see if you can recruit a NWOC [nanny with own child] which would reduce your costs to a level where it might be bearable.

The other alternative is that many nursery workers only do part-time hours [presumably as many children only attend for the funded hours?] and are available to work in the mornings or afternoons. It might be worth advertising at the nursery with their permission if medically you will need to reduce his hours there anyway.

Greenfizzywater Mon 10-Nov-14 21:23:43

Be prepared for a shock - £10 phn = £13 ph gross with a 50 hour week plus you'll pay £3500 employers NI over the year. Total cost to you nearly £38,000 for the year, out of your taxed income sad

holz202 Fri 14-Nov-14 16:21:27

hi please contact me

holz20@hotmail.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now