Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

AUPAIR AND CAR INSURANCE !

(13 Posts)
CLAREGD Thu 06-Nov-14 11:14:44

i am de to have out first aupair arrive and i am really really struggling to find anyone to insure her on a little 1.1ltr car. She is 20 , from france with a full licence. Has been driving for 2 years. I knew it wouldnt be cheap but 4K from Admiral and 1700 from Tesco was rather toppy ! Any suggestion? These are obv with me as main driver and her as a named policy on the car. I am using my no claims on my usual vehicle and we are buying the litlle 1.1ltr car as an extra car - is this poss why ? I have a clean licence for over 15 years.

Karoleann Thu 06-Nov-14 13:45:33

I'm afraid you need someone older - Our 23 year old au pair from France was an extra £250 for a year, we found Admiral the cheapest.

Our previous au pair was a 22 year old from Italy and that was an extra £350.
We stipulate over 22 and with 4 years driving experience in our au pair world ads. After speaking to admiral, that seemed to be when the premium went down significantly. Although, I friend of mine struggled to get a decent policy for her non-EU au pair.

I'm sorry that's not a huge help.

Greenfizzywater Thu 06-Nov-14 22:00:28

Hate to say it but Karoleann is right, this comes up time and time again and the advice is always over 22. Is it too late to withdraw the offer? There may be no other solution.

Nicknacky Thu 06-Nov-14 22:17:36

Also, is this car going to be driven mainly by the au pair? I would be wary of having her as a named driver if she is the main driver.

Cat111 Thu 06-Nov-14 23:56:13

A neighbour of ours has a 19 year old au pair and insures through Direct Line quite cheaply on a small Toyota where she is named driver - although we were refused insurance by them for our au pair on our tank of a Volvo.

Cindy34 Fri 07-Nov-14 06:07:17

Look at the insurance group of the car. Engine size is not what matters, there are many factors.
Consider having a blackbox which tracks driving hours and style.

busyDays Fri 07-Nov-14 13:34:00

I would second the black box idea. When I first got my own licence a few years ago I was able cut the annual premium by several thousand pounds by having one installed. I used insurethebox and had no problems with them.

OvertiredandConfused Fri 07-Nov-14 13:46:07

Car insurance cost is the main reason we have au pairs age 22+

Good luck!

meadowquark Sun 09-Nov-14 12:38:36

Can anyone advice which car would you recommend for the aupair? Budget is around £1000 only. with my current 10+ years old Honda Sports car Admiral quoted £80/month for my 23yo aupair with 10 months old driving license...
I cannot change the aupair but I can change the car!

Karoleann Sun 09-Nov-14 14:02:42

I sat on the phone with admiral just before we hired our first au pair and basically made up fictional au pairs, who were different ages, and had different amounts of driving experience.

Have a look which cars are available locally for £1000 and their insurance groups and then ring and ask for a quote(s)

It may be so high as she's not been driving that long.

Cat111 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:18:27

Admiral insured our Volvo for Au pair when Direct Line refused so definitely worth a try.

Thereshallbeaspirin Tue 11-Nov-14 00:14:17

Try Tesco Value insurance (if it still exists - not on comparison websites I remember that). It is a completely different company from Tesco Insurance and was the cheapest option by far when we had a younger au pair.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 11-Nov-14 08:46:53

I have a Suzuki alto for my AP insurance class 1. I still stipulate over 24 to keep the costs down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now