Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Christmas presents for CM and family?

(13 Posts)
mrsmalcolmreynolds Wed 05-Nov-14 21:58:57

Hi. We started with a lovely CM in September, previously the DC were at nursery so some we're getting used to a new kind of childcare relationship.

The CM is really nice as are her own DC who are 7 and 3 (ours are 5 and 17m). I'd like to get her and each of her DC a present for Christmas but was slightly worried about whether she might find it weird/pushy and/or then feel obliged to get our DC something or even me and DH.

Is there a present etiquette for CMs?

mrsmalcolmreynolds Wed 05-Nov-14 21:59:53

Sorry, random "some" in the first para there!

fieldfare Wed 05-Nov-14 22:07:20

I buy small gifts for the children I mind. Around £5-7 each.
My parents have never bought for my dd, but do give a card and a small gift - bottle of wine, nice hand cream (as my hands are permanently chapped from washing all the time), box of chocs etc to me.
it's lovely and very thoughtful.

Takesalongtime Wed 05-Nov-14 22:57:54

I buy each of my minded children small gift too (£5ish).
Most parents buy my 3 dc a gift & also me. Some will just buy my dc a gift. All is lovely & anything gratefully received.

GingerSkin Wed 05-Nov-14 23:00:58

Marking place as I would like to treat my CM and her family too this Xmas. She's been an absolute star since we started using her in February, I would like to spoil her.

What kind of things would be nice (if you're a Cm, what would you like?)

PhoebeMcPeePee Thu 06-Nov-14 12:24:45

I'd appreciate anything but a bunch of flowers, bottle of Prosecco or vouchers would be my favourite

Jinxxx Thu 06-Nov-14 13:38:16

I always get the children I care for a small gift, often one of their own of a toy they have enjoyed at mine. I make presents with the children for the parents and also make them a Christmas pudding or cake, but don't give bought presents. Most parents give me something (e.g wine, flowers, a voucher) and some buy a little something for my children or make something with their children to give to mine such as sweets. I wouldn't be upset if I didn't have a gift and neither would my children.

Jinxxx Thu 06-Nov-14 13:41:36

...but neither would I think it weird or pushy if they did give something. FWIW I think most CMs I know do get Christmas and birthday gifts from parents or nominally from the children and it's the norm.

busyDays Thu 06-Nov-14 14:35:03

I would imagine that she will get your dc something, as most childminders give presents to their mindees. You don't need to buy anything expensive, I doubt she would expect it. I have normally received things like chocolates or candles and a card. Some parents haven't given anything. Sometimes my own children have got presents, but just small things like books, a puzzle or sweets. One parent bought me a toy to use for the setting which I thought was a nice idea. I still have it years later and it always makes me think of her. smile

GingerSkin Thu 06-Nov-14 20:24:51

Great ideas, thanks (sorry for hijacking the thread)

fudgesmummy Thu 06-Nov-14 22:13:45

I buy each of my minded children a Christmas gift and receive some gifts in return from parents but not all. If you don't know what the children would like why don't you get a gift card for a local restaurant (pizza hut/harvester/pizza express etc) and give it to the whole family? Who doesn't like a family meal out?!

mrsmalcolmreynolds Thu 06-Nov-14 23:36:17

Thanks all! The CM has just had a new conservatory done to use as a playroom for the mindees and is doing some minor work on other areas of the house so we could get her some DIY or homeware type vouchers perhaps - good ideas and reassurance, thank you all again smile.

Cat111 Sat 08-Nov-14 15:16:58

I get mine presents - wine, candles etc - and give present to her 5 year old who my DS plays with but not her teenage son as we don't really see him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now