Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

what is the best way to find an afterschool nanny

(18 Posts)
Parietal Wed 05-Nov-14 21:46:53

in north London? I need someone 2.5 hrs per day, 5 days per week to pick up two primary-age kids from school & take them home & mind them. I know that isn't an easy job to fill, but there must be someone who wants it. So where should I be advertising?

I've had almost no response to an advert on childcare.co.uk. Should I try gumtree? Or an agency? Other ideas?

Thanks for any advice.

FlorenceMattell Wed 05-Nov-14 21:53:54

2.5 hours per day, would have to be someone very local. Otherwise payment wiped out by travel time and mileage. Eg 10 miles travel (5 miles each way) equals £4.50 in mileage costs, plus this may take best part of an hour, so loosing an hour of wages say £10. So if you are paying £10 per hour ie £25 nanny would be working for £10!
So look local, does your town have a Facebook page? Local college, notice in shop etc.
Would only suit college student, retired person as impossible to fit another job around.

FlorenceMattell Wed 05-Nov-14 21:55:37

Sorry just saw London. Not sure of bus tube costs, but same principle, does school have a Facebook page for parents?

Parietal Wed 05-Nov-14 22:13:31

I know travel is a big problem. would it be a much better job as a nanny/housekeeper job with 5 hours cleaning too?

I don't mind paying more than £10 per hour to get the right person, but I just can't get any applicants.

TheMoreItSnows Wed 05-Nov-14 22:18:40

Try findababysitter.co.uk always works for me (but you do have to pay initially until you find someone & then cancel it straightaway.

FlorenceMattell Wed 05-Nov-14 22:51:49

Yes I think nanny/housekeeper would work. Advertise both separately
and see who you get. Can't believe no one replied. How frustrating.

Tapestry12 Wed 05-Nov-14 23:35:34

Did you pay to £20 approx for childcare.co.uk site. If not potential candidates can't get in touch. Also have you put hours and rate.
I personally think £10 is to low.

Parietal Thu 06-Nov-14 07:13:04

Yes, I've subscribed to the site. Advert says "good pay for the right person" but no specific amount, similar to other adverts there.

Kookydooda Thu 06-Nov-14 07:23:41

Www.mybigbuddy.com.

tethersend Thu 06-Nov-14 07:26:51

I've just got someone (a student) through findababysitter.com, would recommend it even though it's pricy.

For such short hours (mine are even shorter!), it makes sense to advertise for a babysitter rather than a nanny, although there are qualified nannies on there too.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 06-Nov-14 08:08:17

It helps putting the amount in as what some parents call good pay - I wouldn't iyswim - not saying you arent but a figure helps

Yes 2.5hrs will be hard so increasing to 5hrs with extra duties may help

Is it only term time? What happened in holidays?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 06-Nov-14 08:08:57

Uou may be better off with a cm

Are they any At the school they go to?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 06-Nov-14 15:11:19

Advertise at the school incase there are any TA's who are interested.

Have a look on findababysitter.co.uk - the hourly rates are usually about �15 phr presumably to make it worth their while.

I know someone with an after school nanny [3-7] who contracts her to do two late evenings a week so that they can work late/have a social life/manage drop offs when one is travelling BUT they also employ the nanny FT during school holidays. She is not on call for illnesses.
They pro-rata her hours so she is paid the same amount monthly whether she is FT or not and she is free to study/work part time in the mornings during term time. It seems to be working well for them.

Parietal Thu 06-Nov-14 22:09:52

thanks for all the tips. I've got an advert on findababysitter too now.

the nanny would have the same hours all year round, with children doing a local summer camp in the holidays.

Fridayschild Sat 08-Nov-14 09:54:45

Our arrangement is not dissimilar to the one tread softly describes. OP, I take your point about summer camps etc but you also need to be offering a job which is worth taking. The short hours you describe would have a big impact for someone on benefits/tax credits etc. They might think it's just not worth the hassle.

Karoleann Sat 08-Nov-14 14:43:57

I think you'll manage to find someone in London - I'd advertise on gumtree though, much more traffic.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 09-Nov-14 10:25:38

I am in east Midlands and needed a temp nanny for before/after school care for 4weeks Tue-fri and was 8-9am and 3-5pm so 3hrs a day 12hrs week and was offering approx £8 gross an hr and happy for nanny with own child, I had loads applicants from teenagers and also other mums at school he was going to (although many wanted to bring 2 children with them and I was happy with one but not two) and I eventually found someone through local church teacher just finished maternity leave and didn't want to go back and would sometimes bring her 1yr old.

We actually didn't need to go ahead in the end as both DH n I managed some flexible working.

Just look outside normal places so pop an ad on church notice boards. Consider another parent who has similar age child/ren pay would be slightly less than a nanny without child.

EldonAve Sun 09-Nov-14 13:48:59

try nannyjob.co.uk & gumtree

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now