Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Reimbursements

(6 Posts)
meggleshs Tue 04-Nov-14 18:16:28

Hiya -
Our nanny is starting January 2015, and had a question re: reimbursements.

Planned on having a kitty for small purchases, days out, etc. Leaving £20 - £50 in there. Is it unreasonable to ask the Nanny to put reciepts or even hand written reciepts in there?

Mileage reimbursements - is this usually done weekly or monthly? Done through Payroll Company or just a cheque written from us to her?

Thanks!!!

eeyore12 Tue 04-Nov-14 18:28:43

You can ask for receipts no problem, she may not always get one esp for small things like a pint of milk but could note down what she spent on what, I note down each day in the diary any money spent and put a tick through it if enough in the kitty to cover it and then once paid back for anything else tick that too. Maybe once she has been with you a while you say don't worry about receipts.

Mileage is usually paid at the end of either week or month depending on how she would like it done/ how many miles she does. Cash is fine for that as the nanny doesn't get taxed on it.

Cindy34 Tue 04-Nov-14 18:57:00

Mileage paid as you like, so BACS, cheque, cash.
You need to keep a record of the miles done and what you pay per mile, for the end of year employers return. Your payroll company will do the form, they will ask you what mileage has been done, amount paid.

Weekly kitty either a set amount each week or an ongoing amount which you top up. Asking for expenditure to be tracked is fine.

One downside of tracking expenditure is that nanny will claim for everything, whereas if you did a fixed weekly amount some weeks nanny may spend more and spend less the following week.

MissMooMoo Tue 04-Nov-14 21:42:39

I have a kitty with £100 in it a week--never use nearly that much but its there just incase.
I put all receipts into a pot each week, smaller things like milk or fruit from market I note down myself and pop It in with other receipts.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 04-Nov-14 21:48:13

It's hard to get receipts for small things like m&t group - ice cream at park - car park (tho can leave rocket as evidence)

Most of my jobs don't want the itty bitty stuff and leave £30 and just say to tell them when needs topping up - but I do have a credit cars so see on there where stuff goes - ie petrol - food shopping - haircuts etc

It can be tedious writing down every last penny - Obv at the beginning of a nanny starting you don't know them but if you are trusting them with your children then trust them with your money

needtomanup Tue 04-Nov-14 23:04:01

Of course you can. I use the family's debit card so can take out cash or charge things to the card. When I started I always put in every receipt whereas now I only keep the ones for more expensive ones petrol/food shopping/butchers as the parents said not too, they were only throwing them out anyway. A friend of mine was asked to fill in a notebook so the family could keep track when she began. Never bothered her. Do whatever you're comfortable with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now