Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

as a cm is it worth me registering for the funding

(6 Posts)
icanhaveadarksideifyouwantmeto Tue 04-Nov-14 16:59:59

i cant get my head around wether its a good thing or a bad thing for me.

what are the pros and cons from those cm who are registered to recieve it?

tia

HSMMaCM Tue 04-Nov-14 17:25:33

Pros

Three year olds stay with you
Might get paid more per hour

Cons

Three year olds stay with you grin
Might get paid less per hour
Paperwork

kathryng90 Tue 04-Nov-14 18:20:43

I live NE. I charge £3 an hr per child and receive £3.24 from LEA. I have to go to termly meetings with other accredited childminders and have termly visits from LEA Quality control officer. I have extra admin forms to complete (not hard) and have to submit weekly attendances. I don't have to turn out in all weathers to collect kids from pre school. If you already work with EYFS it's no more work there. Ask your parents if they would use you instead of swapping to nursery/preschool and find out how much per child your LEA pays. I wouldn't be so happy doing it at a loss!

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 04-Nov-14 22:35:12

I looked into it but would stand to lose £1.50 an hour. Given I am full with a waiting list it just doesn't make financial sense even if it does mean losing a child to nursery at 3.

starlight1234 Tue 04-Nov-14 22:40:34

I do it. I don't have to attend meetings simply fill out termly form. As I have a 2 year old funded I am significantly better off per hour this year.

I also read somewhere ofsted like it.

busyDays Wed 05-Nov-14 09:36:43

I offer it but have not had that many children take it up as some parents prefer preschool for 3 year olds. Sometimes I have split the funding, so a child goes to a few sessions at preschool and I offer the remaining hours. I don't find it to be any extra paperwork, there is only a short headcount form to fill in and send off once a term, nothing else is required by my LA.

In my area the funding is less than my hourly rate so I only offer it to children who attend for more than the 15 hours, as it allows me to make up the lost money by charging a higher rate for the additional hours. If I took a child for only the 15 hours then I couldn't charge a top-up and would lose out financially. So overall I don't find it to be a massive benefit but still worthwhile doing to keep the parents happy. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now