Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny sick pay

(11 Posts)
FabulousFairy Tue 04-Nov-14 14:52:42

Hi, what is the norm. I'm nanny and not been sick before and not enjoying being ill at all, one minute crashed the next.
Payment is at employers discretion in contract.
Do I offer to take as holiday? As still need full pay to cover bills. Is this the norm in other professions?
Want to do the right thing as parents have to find and pay for cover too.

nannynick Tue 04-Nov-14 15:04:35

SSP kicks in on the 4th consecutive day of illness but it isn't much money. Your employer at their discretion can pay you in full. You could offer to take some as annual leave.

Some companies offer sick pay for a certain number of days , others do SSP only. So there is no norm. Some nannies will have a certain number of sick days in their contract.

Talk to your boss. Keep them informed. Discuss pay options.

FabulousFairy Tue 04-Nov-14 15:07:31

I will do that nannynick.

Greenfizzywater Tue 04-Nov-14 16:49:05

Be aware that your boss may not be able to afford to pay you full pay, assuming that they have to pay for alternative childcare. I am in a fairly well paid profession and my nanny takes over 50% of my take home wage, if it wasn't for a day of family childcare it would be 80%. So please don't feel unappreciated if they don't offer more than SSP. Do you have income protection insurance that would kick in if it is long term illness?

Tapestry12 Tue 04-Nov-14 17:00:09

It's not a long illness. But I think I had better sort some income protection insurance for the future.
I totally understand about their income too. They do pay me well and I just want to do the right thing.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 04-Nov-14 17:40:17

Depends what you have in your contract

Some have ssp which tbh isn't much about £15per day and doesn't kick in till 4th day - which by then many are well again

Some have a week which I think is fair to both nanny and employer

Income protection often doesn't cut in till a month later unless you lay HIDEOUS premiums

Tbh you and every one who is employed is better off having a week or twos wages in a NEVER TOUCH account incase you need it

Tapestry12 Wed 05-Nov-14 05:56:58

Fantastic idea. Will start building that one up as have e account which had had nothing in for years. Shall put little in every month.

Callaird Thu 06-Nov-14 10:32:21

I have a week sick at full pay in my contract. I have had 9 days off sick in almost 28 years so my employers know that I'm not known for taking this piss. In fact I have an awful cold (day 6) slept about 4 hours last night, face is boiling, body is freezing, I'm at work! My charge gave it to me, DB is abroad until tomorrow and MB is snowed under at work, charge is asleep on the sofa next to me and I'm chilling on the sofa! We'll go out for some fresh air when he wakes up.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 06-Nov-14 15:03:36

Nanny employers can no longer claim back SSP from the state [thanks govt] so your sick pay as well as pay for your cover will come out of their pocket.

The norm [as far as I have been able to work out] is similar for other professions. Full pay up to a certain number of days per annum. In the company I work for [large professional place with all the usual benefits] you get called in for illness over 6 days, particularly if there is a trend of Mondaymorningitis. After 6-10 days [depending on tolerance of company and any chronic illness] they may put you on SSP for any illness for the remainder of the year. And that's for employers who can reclaim your SSP.

I'd suggest calling your employers and clarifying your position asap. If they can't afford to cover you on full pay beyond a couple of days, then offer to take it as paid holiday if they can manage it.

Note: You may have to take the holiday anyway as unpaid later in the year if the family are going away and don't require you, so start saving. Does that make sense?

I'd get some savings in place, and speak to your bank about a temp loan if required.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 06-Nov-14 21:21:06

If the family decide to go away as nanny is able and willing to work then family need to pay their nanny - so no need to take as holiday

Imagine the uproar that would happen in offices and companies if they said I'm going away next week for two weeks. You don't need to come in as office is shut - but you won't get paid either

NannyLA Fri 07-Nov-14 16:00:08

Well said ' blondes' agree with you totally - have nannied for 20 years. And this is coming up time and time again lately. Would not happen in any other profession unless self employed, which we are not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now