Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Should my childminder be providing me with EYFS stuff and a journal etc?

(5 Posts)
Livvylongpants Mon 03-Nov-14 12:25:15

Having read through the board I see other parents and childminders talking about learning journals and photos and tracks of nappies and what kids eat etc.

My childminder doesn't do any of this? Should she be doing more? I have no issues with her, the children (1 and 3) are happy, don't appear to be hungry, we use cloth nappies so I know what nappies the youngest has done.

She's ofsted related good so I presume she must do some paperwork. When I started she would occasionally give me a track of what DS had eat and sleep but now she when I go in she'll say if one hadsnt eaten or slept well but bar that not much :/

Should I be asking her to do these things

Livvylongpants Mon 03-Nov-14 12:27:26

Sorry trying to type on iPhone!

Kids are there 3 days a week 8-5.30 but DD is at preschool 9-3 on those days so obviously I don't expect anything for her as I get a termly report from preschool. So other than a 'she did/didn't eat much dinner' there isn't much else she can tell me

Livvylongpants Mon 03-Nov-14 13:15:26

HSMMaCM Mon 03-Nov-14 13:16:56

Pre school should be doing the learning journey. We all work differently and she can write things down or tell you verbally.

busyDays Mon 03-Nov-14 13:20:50

Doesn't sound like great communication on her part. It is pretty standard to have a learning journal to show observations/development. I would be surprised if she managed to get a 'good' without some sort of paperwork so it may well be that she has a learning journal but just hasn't shown it to you yet. It seems to quite common not to send them home for fear of them getting lost/ruined. The only way you will know is to ask.

Some childminders also do a daily diary but these are not really a requirement by Ofsted. All Ofsted say is that you have to communicate with parents but it is up the childminder how. It could be verbal, a written daily diary, a short email, photos sent during the day, etc. Sounds like your childminder isn't really doing any of these though. I'm sure if you asked her to keep a little diary each day of naps/meals/outings she wouldn't refuse. Maybe buy a little notebook to put in your dd's bag to prompt her along. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now