Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny chooses 2 weeks, parents choose 2 weeks - where come from?

(9 Posts)
nannynick Sat 01-Nov-14 09:08:06

Where did the nanny chooses 2 weeks holiday, parents choose 2 weeks come from?

Did this perhaps pre-date 2007, when holiday entitlement changed?

This is something from contracts but do contracts now include it?
Looking at a specimen NannyTax contract, I can't see it mentioned. Instead there is "The Employer will try to co-operate with your holiday plans wherever possible subject to their requirements."

Is it reasonable for employees to get half of the holiday as their choice, or should they get it all their choice? Or indeed none of their choice - none is really their choice as employer has to authorise it, so if it is not convenient for the employer they won't authorise it.

juneybean Sat 01-Nov-14 09:10:38

Probably came from when entitlement was four weeks and full time nannies got bank holidays in addition.

Seems fair to choose half each.

These days my bosses choose three and I choose 2.6 weeks.

nbee84 Sat 01-Nov-14 09:36:19

I think it's reasonable (and fair) for nannies to be able to choose half their holidays. In most jobs employers have to authorise holidays. Having worked (outside of nannying ) in a job where I got to choose all my holidays I find it quite restrictive to only be able to choose 2. This year I went on a 2 week holiday and a few weeks later friends the other end of the country announced their week day wedding date. Luckily my lovely employers were able to get cover and I was able to take 2 days unpaid (expensive wedding! )
I wouldn't take a position if I couldn't choose any holidays. It's restrictive for the employers too having to take their own holiday from work to cover the nanny or arrange alternative care but it's a fair way of doing it.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 01-Nov-14 10:17:37

50/50 is fair and tbh in all the jobs ive had since 1991 so 23years its always been 50/50

non nanny friends find it weird that i get 2 weeks my choice and 2 weeks whenever, where they chose all their weeks, tho obv those in an office must check no one else is away then so if want a school holiday date they get in quick

nannynick Sat 01-Nov-14 12:51:41

In an office environment you sometimes need to plan a year ahead to get dates you want. So nannies are lucky that most parents don't need them to do that.
50/50 is fair if both sides can work with that. 2 weeks isn't always 50/50.

Is it written in your contract? What would happen if one year the parents could not give you all your half as choice?

Lucylouby Sat 01-Nov-14 13:11:00

My dh works in a factory and doesn't get to choose all his holiday dates. The factory shuts down for two weeks in August and for a week at Christmas. I'm not sure how many days he is left to choose probably a couple of weeks, so it seems fair that a nanny would only get to choose half of her holidays. It's not unheard of for employers to dictate some holiday dates.

Hanl30 Sat 01-Nov-14 13:46:24

I find it easier to work my holiday around my employers. I've never had the 50% spilt in a contract & I often have found when looking after school age children, parents don't want to be covering your term time holiday. I think because I'm quite easy about it when I do request time off they are very accommodating. However, that works for me & I'm very lucky to have had quite generous holiday allowance.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 01-Nov-14 14:30:31

Yes have in contract that I chose 50% and if employers go over their 2 weeks that I still get paid in full and time off

I like to go away term time as cheaper and also less kids

NannyNim Sat 01-Nov-14 16:52:46

I have 28 days leave inclusive of bank holidays and my contract states that my employers "reserve the right to choose 2 weeks of my holiday". To me, it makes sense. For example, at Easter the parents take the child to visit family and family come and stay with them so they don't need the extra hands and I don't want to drive all over the country visiting their family - let alone the logistical nightmare of finding somewhere for me to stay as well as my employers! Some nannies I know stay home and do nursery duties while their employers are away but only having one child there isn't enough for me to do to justify that.

My employers are very accommodating and always do their best to find cover so I'm happy to be flexible in return!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now