Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny!

(13 Posts)
Saz14 Fri 31-Oct-14 14:58:44

Hi just want some help. Whats a nannys job? Im classed as a nanny looking after 4children with disabilities cleaning the whole house doing childrens and parents washing cleaning all bathrooms floors ect.. Is this normal?? I do about 24hours cleaning and rest caring for children i do 40hours a week??

DearGirl Fri 31-Oct-14 15:03:28

I nanny full time (45-60 hours a week) I have 1 charge. I do all childcare, plan activities, ensure overall care; nursery duties -dcs washing/ironing/tidying up toys, arrange and attend dcs medical appointments . I may sometimes do favours for my bosses pick up dry cleaning, go to the post office, but only if I have time. Very occasionally ill leave food in the oven that they can eat for dinner.

They have a cleaner to do household cleaning, or they do it,occasionally ill hang out their washing if it's in the machine, I don't have to wait in for repairs/deliveries.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 31-Oct-14 15:21:21

Sounds like you are a skivvy housekeeper/nanny if you do more housework then childcare

ESP if doing parents washing as well as cleaning

Generally a nanny will do anything to do with children - so their washing cooking and keeping bedroom/playroom tidy

Saz14 Fri 31-Oct-14 15:31:45

I do the childrens beds (change) washing dry put away rooms bath homework meals.. I do parents bed washing dry put into there room there bathroom all the household jobs i even got a message other day to walk the dog snd clean cat litter trays. I have to hoover everywhere clean all windows dust clean skirting boards doors and so on.. Really had enough sad money is ok but if i tun around like take the children to school which takes 1/2hour then 1/2 hour back ect i dont get fuel for it. Ive not got a contract. sad

Cindy34 Fri 31-Oct-14 15:51:54

How long have you been in the job? Does sound more like a housekeeper role but that is what can happen with school aged children as it is not viable for parents to have a nanny fulltime with children at school most of the day.

Catsarebastards Fri 31-Oct-14 15:54:55

No contract? So are they not paying tax and NI for you?

donkir Fri 31-Oct-14 15:55:39

Sounds like they're taking the piss to be honest.
I had an after school job and soon became a skivvy. After discussing it with them and things not changing I left.

Fitzers Fri 31-Oct-14 16:57:17

Look for another job. A Nanny's role can involve some 'light' housekeeping, to do with the children, but this sounds like far more housekeeping and much less child care.

When you find a new role find out in advance what is expected and have it written down in your contract.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 31-Oct-14 17:06:06

why would you stay there??

unless you want to be a nanny/hk and then thats fine

apart from the lack of contract

hope you discussed a gross wage and they are taking off tax and ni

do you get payslips

you need to discuss petrol, normally 45p per mile

HSMMaCM Fri 31-Oct-14 17:20:04

Definitely sounds like a nanny/housekeeper job. Agree with Blondes about getting payslips and submitting expense claims for mileage. If you're not happy and planning to leave, then you've nothing to lose. They may start taking you more seriously and then you may be happier.

cheesecakemom Fri 31-Oct-14 17:27:26

You're a nanny-housekeeper. But that's fine as long as it's in your job spec - title doesn't matter as long as it clearly states in the contract what your duties are.

NannyNim Sat 01-Nov-14 16:58:39

A nanny should only be responsible for the children and chores relating to them so cooking for the children, cleaning/tidying their bedrooms and playrooms and their washing. A nanny may, out of courtesy, load/unload the dishwasher or hang out the parents laundry if they need to use the machine but unless your job spec is a nanny/housekeeper you shouldn't be expected to do any more.

If you're not happy then I suggest you sit down and draw up a contract that states your responsibilities or look for another job with a better defined role. Contracts are key so you know exactly what your job is and you know that the family are paying you legally.

eurycantha Sun 02-Nov-14 19:05:37

The three children I look after are now all at school,since they all went I also do parents ironing,Hoover and clean the bathroom and change the parents bed.I am fine with this as obviously I am being paid my usual nanny rate BUT please ,they're walking all over you,are you driving your own car ...as I do..But they don't pay you any petrol money!I don't clean out the piggies,do windows and skirting boards! I look after three and while they are at school I have during the week enough time to do all required for the children and then cooking and laundry.As someone said above are you paying tax ?they should be paying you 45p a mile petrol money,start adding up what they would owe you when you do the school run tomorrow,nannies should get petrol money,what ages are the children?
Waves to Blondes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now