Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny premium for 3rd child

(22 Posts)
Suslik Fri 31-Oct-14 11:47:30

Hi all,
I am about to go back to work after my 3rd child. I wonder how much extra we are supposed to offer to nannies for an extra child? I have two girls 6 and 4yo, soon to be 7 and 5; both full time at school (until 3.30). And a baby who will be 8.5m old at the time.

The nanny is new and only been with us for 3 months. She would be looking after all 3 in the morning (8-9am), and then 3 again in the afternoon (after 3.30).

I pay in the region of £10/hour net. What would be the appropriate net rate for 'adding another child'?

nannynick Fri 31-Oct-14 12:09:16

The same. With nannies you don't pay per child but per family.
If nanny had been with you for many years on the same salary then a rise may be suitable as didn't have annual pay reviews.

OhReallyDear Fri 31-Oct-14 13:08:11

So she knew there were 3 kids when she took the job? Anyway, I think you should pay her the same.

if she was a nanny of one child and you fell pregnant later, it would be nice to pay her more (or she might ask) as there would be more work than when she took the job in the first place, but there is no obligation ;)

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 31-Oct-14 15:24:19

Agree she took the job on knowing she had 3 to look after

Yes if in a job and have another sibling I have had a Payrise but not all do

Nannies are per family not lee child

Prob why some nannies like one child as they are lazy think its easier rather then having 3/4/5 children

Make sure you discuss gross not nett

FlorenceMattell Fri 31-Oct-14 16:43:39

Agree same rate.
If you agree net rate ;how do you know nanny is not using all her tax allowance elsewhere or has student loans etc?
You would then be liable to pay tax on top of your pay. Agree gross always.

SoonToBeSix Fri 31-Oct-14 16:45:41

I wouldn't pay extra, she will only have one child for the majority of the time anyway.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Fri 31-Oct-14 19:48:50

You don't need to offer anymore.

Itsfab Fri 31-Oct-14 19:54:05

I was a nanny more than ago and I got a pay rise every 12 months plus when working in a nanny share one family gave me a bonus as they wanted to give me a bigger rise than the other family did. That is just in response to nannynick saying nanny's don't get annual pay reviews.

If the baby is 8 months and she has been with you three months, why the extra child = extra money idea?

Suslik Sat 01-Nov-14 00:31:35

Thanks for all really helpful posts. We do agree gross, i was just making a reference to how much she takes home roughly.

Why the idea - because when i was hiring her the baby was little (she interviewed when baby was 3mths or so, and then joined us when he was 5m). And i was on maternity, so i really said i would not be leaving her with more than 2 at a time. So i would be with the other 1-2. Now i would leave her with 3, and she seems very capable of that charge. Hence started thinking whether a rise is due.

Cullercoats88 Sat 01-Nov-14 08:26:12

Perhaps give her a pay review next yr but you could offer a nice bonus at Xmas!

nannynick Sat 01-Nov-14 08:57:44

You could do a pay review at the end of probation, at the 1yr anniversary, or indeed whenever you like - such as you get a payrise at work and you pass on some of that rise to your nanny.

Keep in mind that it is easy to increase salary, very hard to decrease it. So when your requirements change such as when all children are at school, or pre-school/school combination, then reducing the salary is not really going to be an option - nanny will probably leave if you did.

OhReallyDear Sat 01-Nov-14 09:32:28

OP, she had to know that your maternity leave would end ;) . I don't see it as her having an additional child from now. I see it as you helping her with one child before. So definitely no payrise in my opinion.

OhReallyDear Sat 01-Nov-14 09:34:30

Now if you can afford it, and you really are happy with her job, you can make a 8 months review and offer a little payrise then?

neolara Sat 01-Nov-14 09:42:55

I agree that normally you wouldn't pay more for an extra child. However, if you previously explicitly said you would never leave her with more than two kids, you may need to renegotiate with her. There is probably no legal obligation to do so, but if you don't, she may get pissed off and leave.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 01-Nov-14 10:14:54

any nanny with a tiny brain cell wink would work out once mb/op went back after ml she would sometimes have 3 children

Itsfab Sat 01-Nov-14 19:59:42

Does she know you are going back to work?

She might have taken you literally at your ^"will never leave you with more than 2.^"

Suslik Sat 01-Nov-14 22:11:04

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

Nannynick - my payrise at work is 2% in a good year smile not much to pass on. Barely visible on my paycheck, pretty much token value at my nanny's...

Think I might hive her a small rise - really happy with her work and dont want to lose her. Was stuck for 3 mths over summer with 3 kids and no nanny. Went thru 2 (one hit my eldest(!!!) and had to go obviously, and another one was such a pain to work with so when she said after 1st week she wanted to leave i was happy). So best to hold on to the one i really like!

OhReallyDear Sun 02-Nov-14 09:03:29

Even if the payrise is small, she will appreciate the intention ;) . That's nice of you.

A nanny hit your child??? Jeez, that makes my blood boil

SoonToBeSix Sun 02-Nov-14 09:53:29

Am confused why were you stuck with no childcare for your three dc over the summer I thought you hadn't gone back to work yet?

Suslik Tue 04-Nov-14 00:32:45

Well i can go it on my own of course and drag 3 children to the classes, but i prefer that my eldest can have a playdate on friday and not have to drive with me to stagecoach for nr 2, and so on.

NeDeLaMer Tue 04-Nov-14 00:48:31

I think nannies should get an increase when there's a new baby, most other people negotiate when there's an increase in their workload.

However, if she took the job on knowing you had 3 & were going back to work, then I don't see the need right now, other than as you say, you want her to be happy as you don't want to lose her. In your situation (unless she didn't know you were going back to work) I'd give her a healthy Christmas bonus and consider reviewing her salary at 6 months.

Genuinely being appreciative is by far the best thing you can do to keep a good nanny happy smile

ChippingInAutumnLover Tue 04-Nov-14 00:49:30

Yes, all the while knitting your own lentils grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now