Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Finishing nanny job and need some parents advice!

(16 Posts)
NYC23 Thu 30-Oct-14 13:41:54

Hi!

I've been with the family I work for a year, and tomorrow will be my last day. I'm feeling a bit hard done by, because I have been asked to "vacate the room" tomorrow night, after working a 60hr week, and I'll then have to make the 2.5hr drive back home after leaving (at about 8.30pm).

The family have been so good to me over the past year, and I'm sure we will still keep in touch, however I just wanted to know if this is normal, or if other families may allow you to stay till at least Saturday lunch time

Thanks in advance!

VivaLeBeaver Thu 30-Oct-14 13:43:40

That seems a bit harsh. Are they moving a new nanny in quickly?

NYC23 Thu 30-Oct-14 13:44:42

The new nanny is moving in on Sunday evening!

VivaLeBeaver Thu 30-Oct-14 13:46:40

Have you asked if you could leave Saturday. I guess they might be planning a big clean or redecoration?

It is harsh - they probably haven't thought it through from your side and are stressing about getting the room ready for the new nanny - could you talk to them about staying til Saturday breakfast time? Or did things end on a bad note because they didn't want you to leave and felt left in the lurch or something?

NYC23 Thu 30-Oct-14 13:52:37

I suggested leaving by about 9am on the Saturday, just enough time for me to get sorted and make sure I have everything without feeling rushed etc and leaving stuff behind, but it was a pretty clear "leave Friday night" type of thing.

I know they are having someone in to do a deep clean, which is absutley fair enough, but I wouldn't be hanging around till 3pm! I'd be up and out before the cleaners probably even arrived :/

I was pretty sure it was going to be an amicable parting, but I know they didn't want me to leave. But this has made me think that perhaps where I was under the impression it was all ok, maybe from
their point of view it wasn't... I gave them almost 6 weeks notice :/

VivaLeBeaver Thu 30-Oct-14 13:54:35

My advice is dont dwell on it. You don't have to work for them anymore so even if they are been a bit arsey forget it. Onwards and upwards as my Gran would say.

Messygirl Thu 30-Oct-14 13:58:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FreeButtonBee Thu 30-Oct-14 14:09:43

They may need to move furniture out/get bedding to the drycleaners and all sorts. TBH it's not particularly nice for you but if you really needed to stay, you should have made it clear earlier as the room comes with the job. I don't think they are being mean or making a point, just moving on the same as you have.

NYC23 Thu 30-Oct-14 14:11:57

I had planned on staying longer (although it was a 1 year fixed term contract so they knew that it could potentially end after the year when they hired me) but due to personal reasons I had to make the decision to move back home!

Regardless, I've had a fab year and I'll miss the children a massive amount! I don't know how nannies do it, leaving the children! I just know I am going to bawl tomorrow sad

I guess I'll just take it as it is, accept they want to get everything sorted etc!

Karoleann Thu 30-Oct-14 18:56:08

Maybe they've just planned a very busy Saturday and need to clean tonight, or a cleaner needs to go in at 8am tomorrow.

I had to take out first au pair to the airport at 5 in the morning for an 11pm flight. She'd booked her flights home without checking dates with me first (only a couple of days before her 6 months were up), but I had something on that day and it was the only time I could do it. Our diary is usually full at the weekends for at least two months in advance.

NYC23 Thu 30-Oct-14 19:06:41

Thanks for the advice! I'm not overly annoyed as such, I just wanted to know if it was usual!

And I know that the Saturday they're not doing anything! And the cleaner is coming at 11am smile

porgie80 Thu 30-Oct-14 19:11:43

Just a thought- but if the Children know its your last day tomorrow- maybe they don't want you hanging around in case the children get upset/confused? I know me and my brother were very attached to our childhood nanny and got very distressed when we had to say goodbye- thinking back now I wouldn't of wanted her hanging around the house for the night after that.

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 30-Oct-14 19:18:49

Not huge advice, but i still cry when i think about the children i first nannied for. It's been 5 years since I left!

However the Dboss I had would have probably said something similar. He was a huge timekeeper/organiser so to him it wouldn't have seemed odd. Could they have had nannies before who took ages to leave? or are they the kind of people who take a while to leave?

NYC23 Thu 30-Oct-14 19:21:21

I'm their first nanny! I don't know. Thinking about it perhaps it will be easier for me to leave tomorrow night then at least the children don't have to see me again and also I won't have to say bye again sad I'm dreading it!

LittleBairn Thu 30-Oct-14 19:23:06

That sounds rather mean if them (I'm an ex lve in nanny) especially if you asked to leave the next day. Personally I would insist you finish at an earlier time instead so that you weren't as tired on a long drive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now