Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is the word 'bum' rude?

(100 Posts)
Fedupnanny Wed 01-Oct-14 13:35:23

I was wiping my little girl charge after she had used the toilet and I said this...
"Please bend over DC as I need to wipe your bum"

Was immediately told off by the BM who was in the next room working, she said "don't say bum, you need to say bottom, I will not have them learning the word bum at this age"

I felt this was a little ridiculous and can't get it out of my head. What do the rest of you think? She is obviously within her rights to tell me what I can and cant say to her children but I feel this is a little OTT and never thought bum was a rude word!

PhoebeMcPeePee Wed 01-Oct-14 13:40:32

I'm with bm on this I'm afraid & can't stand hearing the word bum from very small children so I would insist on bottom too.

chrisrobin Wed 01-Oct-14 13:42:39

I wouldn't like my children saying 'bum' so I use botty or bottom instead- it was considered rude when I was growing up and it still sounds wrong to me coming from a childs mouth. I don't let my DC say 'hate' either as I feel it is too strong a word for small children.

Rafflesway Wed 01-Oct-14 13:44:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nomdemere Wed 01-Oct-14 13:46:37

It sounds like she was a bit snippy with you - if so, that's rude of her and unnecessary.

But I also dislike the word 'bum' - not rude, exactly - hard to explain what I don't like about it. I don't use it round my small children.

So, I would probably have asked (politely) you to say 'bottom' instead with the kids.

MehsMum Wed 01-Oct-14 13:47:19

I can't recall thinking 'bum' was rude either when I was a child or when my DC were little...

It's not that I don't care what they say (even now), but there are plenty of worse words out there, including some which are very frequent on MN but which I don't use when posting, never mind in reality.

donkir Wed 01-Oct-14 13:50:25

I'm also a nanny but a parent too and I don't like the word bum or hate. They come across quite rude.
I had a conversation with bm not long after I started asking what they would prefer to use with regards to private parts as I'm of the opinion they should use the proper names and none off this nn for them.

Fedupnanny Wed 01-Oct-14 13:51:53

I see, I didn't realise it wasn't a normal word used instead of bottom, I say it without thinking but am trying to stop myself.

Last week at breakfast BM was calling her husband a f**** c* so I really don't know what to think anymore.

LegoClone Wed 01-Oct-14 13:51:57

I have no issues with the word bum and would also have been surprised by this. I would have a problem with you using butt/ass/arse... wink

Shakey1500 Wed 01-Oct-14 13:52:33

I don't consider "bum" rude in the slightest. Far worse things to be snippy about imo.

BunnyLebowski Wed 01-Oct-14 13:53:43

Bum is not a rude word.

I would be far more offended by an adult saying 'bottom' tbh. How precious and twee.

Fedupnanny Wed 01-Oct-14 13:54:25

Glad I'm not the only one then Lego and shakey

LegArmpits Wed 01-Oct-14 13:54:57

Bottom is hideous. I firmly tell my kids that their arse is called a bum.

Northernexile Wed 01-Oct-14 13:55:07

Bum is perfectly normal IMO, hadn't even considered calling it anything else with my 2yo <sloppy parent emotion>

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Wed 01-Oct-14 13:56:01

Bum is not rude. But it is funny. Especially to 3 year olds <snigger>

Elvish Wed 01-Oct-14 13:58:11

I use Bum with my kids, it's an abbreviation of bottom as far as I'm concerned.

TortoiseUpATreeAgain Wed 01-Oct-14 13:59:18

It's sort of rude -- I don't mind it at all myself but I am aware that others do so I try to gently discourage the DCs from using it (although if anyone ever actually complained to me they would get a hmm look).

Tomorrow go for "Oi, DC, show us your arse" instead...

tipsyloolah Wed 01-Oct-14 14:00:13

Bum is the normal word, surely? 'Bottom' is indeed twee - and has other meanings, so keep bum for what it is and allow the giggles.

DayLillie Wed 01-Oct-14 14:01:13

Bum was always a childish word for bottom, where I grew up hmm

I only ever heard it when I moved up north - it was all bottoms before that. I expect it is just anti-northern snobbery.

Not rude at all; no more than bottom.

HaroldLloyd Wed 01-Oct-14 14:03:15

Blimey I don't understand the issue with bum at all.

Her choice of course but It's not like saying arse which is obvious. So I don't think there was any need to be snitty with you.

RiverTam Wed 01-Oct-14 14:03:20

I don't think it's rude, I just hate the word. Bottom is such a lovely word, I think it's bizarre that anyone would think it's precious or twee!

HaroldLloyd Wed 01-Oct-14 14:04:14

I suppose we should be saying Anus. Maybe.

Madratlady Wed 01-Oct-14 14:04:24

I think it depends where you come from, I'm sure it's used much more generally in some parts of the country, everyone round here says bum.

But if the BM doesn't like it, it's not the end of the world to say bottom.

LemonBreeland Wed 01-Oct-14 14:06:21

I think Bum in the past has been seen as rude. I remember when a certain toilet paper brand had an advert saying 'love your bum' that a lot of the old ladies who my MIL worked with were horrified. I suppose it is slang, but most people see it as an everyday word now.

I don't have a problem with it at all, and my 3 yo also says butt as well as bum and bottom. Maybe I'm just common. wink

MrsMcRuff Wed 01-Oct-14 14:06:59

'Bottom' is indeed twee - and has other meanings

Are these more 'other meanings' exclusive to MN? Have only just found out that 'plum' has an 'other meaning'! blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: