Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Filipino nannies

(21 Posts)
ThePoisonwoodBible Sun 07-Sep-14 07:45:44

Hiya, slightly odd question here

Over the past 3-4 years it seems to have become very popular in our area to hire Filipino nannies. They mainly seem to be in their 30s, mothers themselves and here to earn money to send back to their kids, and live-out as they all share very cheap accommodation.

I have always felt vaguely uncomfortable with the idea. I think I fear exploitation as I know they are "cheaper" than UK nannies although I don't know how much cheaper.

We have live-in au pairs which works well for our older kids but the baby has to go to nursery as the au pairs are too young and inexperienced for baby care.

Last night DH suggested exploring the Filipino nanny route so all our kids can be at home. I'm not at all sure but thought I would ask here before dismissing out of hand.

Has anyone had a Filipino nanny? Are they happy? Are they good? Does it feel like a good relationship? Where did you find them? Are they generally here legally? What's the average rate of pay?

Many thanks

Artandco Sun 07-Sep-14 07:49:59

Every Filipino nanny I know earns the same as any other nanny would, why would t they?

So based on London wage looking at approx £13 gross per hr

DaughterDilemma Sun 07-Sep-14 07:52:47

I would never hire someone to loo after my children whiile her own children are far away on another continent.

It is just wrong, end of.

ThePoisonwoodBible Sun 07-Sep-14 07:54:59

I don't think that's the case around here Art. People pay 12/13 for very good fluent English, formal training, knowledge of the area etc.

They may well deserve normal pay but I bet my bottom dollar they rarely get it.

I also wonder whether they are registered for tax etc.

We could not hire anyone who isn't legal or wasn't registered for tax.

msrisotto Sun 07-Sep-14 07:56:18

Sounds like a bloody fashion accessory! Why is this about a Filipino nanny, rather than just a nanny? From wherever she may be from? Bizarre.

ThePoisonwoodBible Sun 07-Sep-14 07:56:44

I sort if feel the same Daughter. That's what makes me least comfortable about the idea. But DH points out they are here and desperate for work and not hiring them does not make their lives easier.

peppapigonaloop Sun 07-Sep-14 08:00:45

I don't understand why the fact that their children are miles away on another continent would stop you from hiring them. Often these women have to make huge sacrifices, leaving children to be raised with other family members so that they can support a large network back at home. Why would you consider not hiring them because of this?
I have no experience of hiring foreign nannies in the UK, only in Asia. I would assume though that you would pay them a fair nanny rate, can't see why they would be much cheaper than a regular nanny unless you are planning to hire someone with no experience/skills.

Artandco Sun 07-Sep-14 08:02:48

Ok, where do you live?

Why would you want to hire someone to look after baby who can't speak English? Will you want children growing up bilingual in flilipino?

Honestly never heard of this, 3 ladies I know who are Filipino and nannies def live here with own family like any other nationality and def earn same as any other . Central London

There is a shortage of decent nannies so they would just move to another family if first one paid terrible

If £12/13 is what's in your area then that's what the price is. I think it's approx £500 net a week/£620 ish before tax/ insurance

Victoria2002 Sun 07-Sep-14 08:16:47

Has anyone had a Filipino nanny? Are they happy? Are they good? Does it feel like a good relationship? Where did you find them?
These are all ridiculous generalisations.
I have nannied in Earls court for a few years where there are lots if phillipina nannies and other domestic staff from the Phillipines. (Plus the Phillipine church/restaurant/hair dressers/TV station...) I agree with the op that they earn a little less on average than uk nannies and are less likely to be taxed properly (as their employers are cooking the books) but another generalisation is that many if them do more than the average uk nanny eg all the cleaning and laundry for the whole household while also doing the childcare. Most are here legally but they often have a visa that only allows them to work in domestic service for the first few years of their time in the uk, I know a few who are counting down the months till they can return to accounting (or whahtever).
I don't think you can stereotype a whole race by saying they are good or bad or happy or not, you need to judge each childcarer on their skills & manner and describe the duties fairly to see if they match expectations.
I do think it is terribly sad that mums are so desperate to improve the lot of their family that they leave their kids with relatives and cross the planet to bring up other peoples children, but I can see the argument that being a good boss to a nanny in this situation helps her out. I would not want to fiddle the tax and underpay and over work someone just because they are desperate though, so I thnk you need to find your moral path there.

hollie84 Sun 07-Sep-14 08:21:35

Why do you specifically want a nanny from the Phillipines?

If you can't afford the rates for an experienced nanny, you can advertise at the rate you can afford, and you will probably get applicants (with maybe less experience/qualifications/not perfect English) from a whole load of nationalities. Then you hire on the basis of who will be best at the job.

sleepdodger Sun 07-Sep-14 08:33:00

As an aside the children are at home with their fathers or grandparents
In Far East esp HKand Singapore it's v common

mrswishywashy Sun 07-Sep-14 10:47:26

I think you have to be very careful employing anyone with English as a second language unless it is perfectly spoken which can only be judged at the interview. I've met many children now over my ten years working as a nanny and now a maternity nurse in the uk who are hugely disadvantaged in their language skills as their main childcarer has not had good English language skilles. This really shows when they start school. There is also the risk that nanny with English as a second language won't know what to do in an emergency, I know of one child who's broken limb was not treated immediately as nanny didn't know procedure. Unfortunately the parents blamed the nanny but I blame the parents for doing cost cutting methods to hire an non English speaking, illegal nanny and it's the child who loses out.

Work out what you can afford for a nanny there is plenty of information on this, work out you job description and also what you need at minimum from a nanny eg first aid and DBS, can speak good English, has baby experience AND legally able to work in the uk. Then advertise and see who replies. It doesn't matter if nanny you end up with is male, female, Filipino, Canadian, kiwi, Aussie, South African, Spanish, from mainland Europe or the uk they have to mesh well with your family.

Crowen85 Sun 07-Sep-14 15:59:55

In my experience they are hard workers and very friendly. Some can talk on their phone a lot and they do tend to hang out in large groups chatting away in philipeono.

But if you want a kind, honest hard worker you will defo find that.

Eggsaregoodforyou Sun 07-Sep-14 19:58:57

I've never hired a nanny but I have worked with a number of nurses who have been hired direct from the Philippines. It may be shocking to some here but they were hired on a Lower rate of pay than their uk trained colleagues!

In my experience they are extremely pleasant and hard working ( in so far as you dan general use about a whole nationality!!) however their cultural backgrounds are quite different and one area which they did appear to struggle in was being assertive enough in some situations. Their English was also good but needed 'tuning into' at first which might be a bit tricky for a toddler learning to speak perhaps??!

Spotsonmydots Sun 07-Sep-14 21:45:01

Eggsaregoodforyou - surely either their role is differentiated by a lower rate rather than their nationality? Otherwise I would think this is straightforward discrimination?

TranmereRover Tue 09-Sep-14 12:22:22

is your husband essentially suggesting that because "all Filipinas are desperate" and need to send money home to support their own children on another continent / several time zones away that it is ok for you to exploit their difficulties to pay them less for the same job than eg a Polish lady or an English one?
You may find that some Filipinas are paid less because their english isn't fluent. That would be the same I imagine for anyone hiring any nationality, unless their language was something you wanted as a second language for your own children in which case it may attract a premium (i'm thinking Mandarin speaking nannies in New York for eg).
"I want a Filipina because the neighbours have one" is a bit like the new Rnage Rover at the start of the school year - something to seriously check yourself over if you're thinking it! (which I realise you're not)

mimishimmi Tue 09-Sep-14 22:54:23

It might be a good idea to check the Hong Kong expat forums like Geoexpat, asiaxpat etc for people's experience with Filipina domestic helpers. Like any group, there are good and bad. One thing to keep in mind is that the desperation common to so many can lead them to take out loans with unscrupulous lenders and many employers have had trouble with loanshark harassment of both the helper and themselves. It can also potentially cause other undesirable behaviour (prostitution, stealing and selling your posessions etc) so if your DH is hoping to profit by that, he may be opening a tin of worms he never intended with that.

Monika2012 Thu 11-Sep-14 22:17:35

I totally agree. Leave the FILIPINO NANNIES. They are the same as the rest of the nannies in here and everywhere else!!!!

islandmomhere Wed 22-Jul-15 09:35:13

ThePoisonwoodBible - This is an old thread I know but I wanted to say that it is appalling that despite the claim that "discrimination is not allowed in this country", people are still doing it. This is a generalisation -Filipinos are hard workers, leaves family at home to support them, cheaper wages".. Yes some of them are/ do, some aren't/don't. If you want a Nanny just advertise for whatever rate you can afford and you'll get applicants from all nationalities. I am Filipino living in the UK with my husband and my 1 year old baby's nanny is English, she was the most suited for our family's needs. Period.

amarmai Mon 27-Jul-15 21:00:05

I agree with mimi- also gambling and fake documentation has come to light as problems with this group. Be careful- you may get less /more than you bargained for. Check out the religious/superstitious beliefs in that area of the word. You will be shocked.

harshbuttrue1980 Tue 04-Aug-15 15:44:28

Sorry, but I think its shocking that someone (it seems to be the OP's DH rather than the OP herself) would choose a particular nationality of nanny just so they can pay them less (and some people also try to exploit Filipinas in other ways, e.g. overly long hours, poor sleeping conditions - I'm not saying that is the case here). How would he feel if he was discriminated against in the workplace?? Advertise the job at the rate of pay you can afford and choose the best person who applies. Treat them well and pay them well and nannies will generally look after your children well. Exploit them and they may take the job out of desperation, but I doubt your children will be cared for with love. If you can't afford a nanny (I can't either), how about a nanny share? That seems better than exploiting someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now